Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-05, 10:47 AM   #1
mddolloff

Default Last PCI Card Not Working

I am currently trying to run 4 monitors off of 4 sperate graphics cards in the computer. One card is AGP and the other 3 are all PCI. I can get three monitors working just fine, but when I go to get the 4th monitor working the system hangs at the NVIDIA logo. When i remove the 4th card I can only get 2 monitors to work. I appears that I can always use 1 less monitor than I have graphics cards. I am using the Nvidia driver 6111.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (5.6 KB, 156 views)
mddolloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 11:50 AM   #2
ostiffel

Default Re: Last PCI Card Not Working

I have a similar problem with 2 DVI cards.
Try replacing 'nvidia' with 'nv', start X, exit X, swith back to 'nvidia' and restart X.

I know it sounds strange, but this consistently works for me. It's as if the 'nv' enables the second card.
ostiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 11:52 AM   #3
mddolloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostiffel
I have a similar problem with 2 DVI cards.
Try replacing 'nvidia' with 'nv', start X, exit X, swith back to 'nvidia' and restart X.

I know it sounds strange, but this consistently works for me. It's as if the 'nv' enables the second card.
Thanks. I will give that a try

That is kind of pain though. This is going to be a production system so I need to have a more fluid solution.
Old 07-29-05, 12:00 PM   #4
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

I have no problem doing quad-head with an AGP and a PCI card with the newest 32-bit Linux drivers.
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 12:05 PM   #5
mddolloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddolloff
Thanks. I will give that a try

That is kind of pain though. This is going to be a production system so I need to have a more fluid solution.
Tried it out and it worked. That is really strange. Has anyone reported this to Nvidia?
Old 07-29-05, 01:47 PM   #6
mddolloff

Also have found that when I don't load GLX with nvidia driver on initial boot up, all four screens load fine. So maybe it is something in the GLX.
Old 07-30-05, 11:23 AM   #7
FredL2
Linux mafia affilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddolloff
Also have found that when I don't load GLX with nvidia driver on initial boot up, all four screens load fine. So maybe it is something in the GLX.
What's the Manufacturer/Model of the PCI cards? It would be useful info to me...
I'd agree with you about it being a GLX bug, but since Linux is a BIOS dependant OS (unlike windoze) it might also be a BIOS bug...
FredL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 12:56 PM   #8
D-Caf

Try adding this to the Device section of your PCI cards:

Option "UseInt10Module" "True"

I needed this to get my pci card to "init" properly when using it at the same time as my AGP card. Oh, and just for laughs, I have to boot to linux before I boot to my windows side of the dual boot cause windows can't "init" the cards without bluescreening (and this is XP!). Luckily with cedega I find myself booting windows fewer and fewer times...
D-Caf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-05, 01:10 PM   #9
mddolloff

I'm not sure the manufactorer. They are 5200's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredL2
What's the Manufacturer/Model of the PCI cards? It would be useful info to me...
I'd agree with you about it being a GLX bug, but since Linux is a BIOS dependant OS (unlike windoze) it might also be a BIOS bug...
Old 08-01-05, 04:30 PM   #10
mddolloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Caf
Try adding this to the Device section of your PCI cards:

Option "UseInt10Module" "True"

I needed this to get my pci card to "init" properly when using it at the same time as my AGP card. Oh, and just for laughs, I have to boot to linux before I boot to my windows side of the dual boot cause windows can't "init" the cards without bluescreening (and this is XP!). Luckily with cedega I find myself booting windows fewer and fewer times...
Thanks!!! That did it. Only problem I have no is when they are softbooted they say 64MB of memory instead of the 128MB that are actually there. It doesn't look like there is much of a performance degredation, but I can't be sure. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-01-05, 07:04 PM   #11
D-Caf

Hmm, mine detects the proper amount of ram, so not possitive. You could try this:

VideoRam 131072

In the same device section of the graphics cards. Maybe that will force it to see the proper amount of ram.
D-Caf is offline   Reply With Quote