Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-19-05, 05:55 PM   #1
zajelo3

Default "Thermal Monitor" option in nvidia-settings?

Hi everyone, I'm was wondering if anyone could tell me how to enable the "Thermal Monitor" option in nvidia-settings? I've googled it, and there's not a lot of info on the internet about how that's done. I'm using FC2 with a 2.6.11 kernel and a 6600gt. Also, does anyone know how to setup ut2004 to show GPU temps at all times. I've never seen that before but it sure would be a nice option. Thx.
zajelo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 12:34 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: "Thermal Monitor" option in nvidia-settings?

Most 6600gt contain sensors but on lots of cards the sensor chip has been disabled in the video bios. There are some bioses which you could flash to enable it ,,,
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 10:06 PM   #3
zajelo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Most 6600gt contain sensors but on lots of cards the sensor chip has been disabled in the video bios. There are some bioses which you could flash to enable it ,,,
Ok, thanks for the info. I googled it and found some really simple tutorials that described what needed to be done and how to do it, and, it worked, I now have the "Thermal Monitor" section in my nvidia-settings console. Here's a link to the tut I followed: http://www.ocia.net/articles/tempmonitoring/page1.shtml

A couple things come to mind from editing and then flashing the bios on my 6600gt:

(1)I had to boot into Windows to do it but it would be great if there was a tut on how to do it strictly within Linux. What better place for one of the Nvidia guru's to do it than here, in the Nvidia Linux forum.
(2)Is there anyway to get the video card temp to display while I'm playing ut2004 in fullscreen mode? If anyone knows please let me know.
zajelo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 08:29 PM   #4
0xE477

I have similar problem, but it is very different in one aspect. This is FreeBSD, GeForce 6200, and the latest driver (I did cvsup ports and portupgrade today). The nvidia-settings program has the "Thermal Monitor" option, but it is inactive, as in the snapshot below. Now the funny part: it worked fine before the driver was upgraded, and indicated reasonable temperatures, also changing reasonably (low after power up, and then increasing to certain degree, as the whole machine was getting warmer).

Now, it is not deadly important, but I consider this feature nice and want it get back. How do I re-enable the Thermal Monitor? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalmon.png
Views:	490
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	12494  
0xE477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 08:38 PM   #5
zachary

I did the sameish thing all from linux, other than from when I was booted from the floppy of course. I made my bootable dos floppy from an image I downloaded online(cat dos.img > /dev/fd0). I grabbed a bios from the mvktech.net website and edited it with Nibitor which ran fine in Wine. Looking at that tutorial, you could just use any hex editor in linux rather than emulating Nibitor like I did. I like one called ht.
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 06:08 PM   #6
0xE477

I'd insist asking the same question as above. I don't believe that really nobody knows the answer.
Old 08-15-05, 07:54 PM   #7
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajelo3
(1)I had to boot into Windows to do it but it would be great if there was a tut on how to do it strictly within Linux
nvflash also works with a DRDOS boot disk available at

http://oldfiles.org.uk/powerload/bootdisk/DRDOS703.zip

To create an nvflash boot disk under linux, type:

unzip DRDOS703.zip
unzip nvflash.zip
dd if=DRDOS703.IMG of=/dev/fd0
mcopy nvflash.exe cwsdpmi.exe a:

Then grab the flash image, boot back to linux and use khexedit to
modify the file.

You may also like to have a look at (or change) some other
VGA BIOS parameters using NiBiTor under Linux (using wine):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...hlight=nibitor

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-05, 03:26 AM   #8
Thunderbird

Currently you need to flash your bios to activate the sensor. Soon that won't be needed anymore. Have written code for nvclock to activate the sensor without a biosflash the only downside is that nvidia-settings won't recognize it. (nvclock will ofcourse)

Old 08-17-05, 03:45 PM   #9
0xE477

The thing I don't understand is why I am supposed to flash the card's BIOS to reactivate the thermal monitor for my 6200.

This is not the card or its BIOS, that has changed, this is the nvidia driver, that has been upgraded, which caused the thermal monitor in nvidia settings to refuse to work. So it seems clear to me, that it is the driver's fault, not BIOS'.
Old 08-17-05, 04:21 PM   #10
Thunderbird

The sensor is disabled on most 6200/6600(GT) cards. On boards on which it isn't enabled the bios needs to be flashed. If it worked on your card before and suddenly doesn't then you don't need to flash the bios. Try nvclock to see if it shows the temperatures (it directly reads the temperature from the chip). The code needs some more work so that it can also activate a disabled sensor without flashing but it should already work.