Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-05, 01:17 PM   #1
asheridan

Default GLSL issue on 6800

HI.

I've done my best to search the forum for other posts on this issue, so please forgive me if I've missed some obscure post somewhere that discusses this.

(As it is, this post may be better suited for a developer forum. But I've been waiting for over 5 weeks to hear back from nvidia's developer relations people, just to get access to the developers forum. But that is another rant...)

We just installed a GeForce 6800 (AGP) on a Gentoo linux box. Our software uses GLSL and runs well on every nvidia card/platform we've tested so far (including a GeForce 6600 (PCI-E) on linux). However, this card gives us the following error when compiling the shader:

-----------
Internal error: assembly compile error for vertex shader at offset 7585:
-- error message --
line 146, column 11: error: expected floating-point constant
-- internal assembly text --
!!ARBvp1.0
OPTION NV_vertex_program3;
# cgc version 1.3.0001, build date Jul 29 2005 13:26:34
# command line args:
#vendor NVIDIA Corporation
#version 1.0.02
#profile vp40
#program main
#semantic gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix
#semantic gl_NormalMatrix
#semantic gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrixTranspose
#semantic gl_FrontMaterial
#semantic gl_LightSource
#semantic ignore
#semantic sliceInterval
#semantic scaleFactor
#semantic seriesHistMin
#semantic seriesHistRange
#var float4 gl_Color : $vin.COLOR0 : ATTR3 : -1 : 1
#var float4 gl_Vertex : $vin.POSITION : ATTR0 : -1 : 1
#var float4 gl_Position : $vout.POSITION : HPOS : -1 : 1
#var float4 gl_FrontColor : $vout.COLOR0 : COL0 : -1 : 1
#var float4x4 gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix : : c[0], 4 : -1 : 1
#var float3x3 gl_NormalMatrix : : c[4], 3 : -1 : 1
#var float4x

The card works fine on Winders, so I'm wondering if this is a known (or new?) issue for the linux driver. We're using the latest drivers: 1.0-7676

Thanks...
-- Andrew
asheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 02:59 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GLSL issue on 6800

Andrew,
Can you post the code neccessary to reproduce this issue, along with build instructions?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 04:55 PM   #3
asheridan

Lonni, hi.

I might not be able to post the code, not without an NDA. So, we are playing around with the shader, trying to see what is causing it to crap out. I fear this might not be too productive (see next paragraph), and that somebody at nvidia would be able to grasp the problem allot quicker.

Just to let you know what we've learned so far: there is one offending line of code. If we comment out that line, then the shader works (albeit without proper lighting, since that line is sort of important for calculating directional light). However, this doesn't yield much helpful information because that same line of code is in a different shader and that shader does work!? (And, that line of code is straight out of the OpenGL Shading Language "Orange Book", pg218). So the problem is probably some other attribute of the shader.

Since it is a problem when compiling the shader, would you be able to glean anything from JUST the shader source? I might be able to obfuscate it and let it out the door without an NDA...

Thanks,
Andrew

ps. Could you get me in touch with somebody at developer relations so that I could get registered and have access to the dev forums? This post really belongs there...
Old 08-19-05, 05:38 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Andrew,
I've passed your request onto developer relations. I've been advised that SDKFeedback@nvidia.com is the correct address to send issues such as this.

However, in the interim, if you'd feel more comfortable sending your code in via email, you could send it to linux-bugs@nvidia.com, and I'd be able to work with you from there.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-19-05, 06:57 PM   #5
asheridan

I will check with my boss on Monday and, hopefully, send you an obfuscated vertex shader then. I will wrap it up in a quick little JOGL program that loads the shader and spits the info log out to std err (showing either the success or failure of the compilation). I'll attach build instructions as well.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 08-23-05, 04:06 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Andrew,
Just to close the loop publicly (as you've sent me the code via email), I was able to reproduce this failure when using a GeForce 6800 with 1.0-7676. However, the good news is that the failure does not reproduce with a pre-release nvidia driver. The next 1.0-8xxx driver released will include a fix for this issue.

Thanks,
Lonni