Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-03, 08:00 AM   #1
apephysics

Default Linux, nVidia, and Plasma screens...

HI everybody,

This is what I'm trying to do...

I need to run graphics intensive OpenGL applications (namely SGI Performer) on my Linux box, and display them on my NEC PlasmaSync 50MP2 50" in widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio. Currently I'm using a PixelPerfect graphics card in WindowsXP to do the 16:9 ratio, but I don't think this card is going to be able to handle my 3D acceleration needs. Plus I emailed PixelPerfect, and they said nVidia would be a better choice.

So now the issue is, which nVidia card? I'm not so worried about the Linux drivers, because I'm using a GeForce4 Ti 4200 in my other Linux machine with a regular CRT monitor, and it can handle the OpenGL programs no sweat. I'm more concerned with what kind of support I'll get for displaying on the PlasmaSync, especially at the 16:9 ratio. Would that kind of thing be covered by nView? I know with nView you can do things like have 2 monitors side by side, but I'm not sure about the widescreen. Also, would I need a card with DVI out? The NEC display has pretty much every input you can imagine (S-video, 15-pin analog, 29-pin DVI, etc...)

Sorry about the long post. Any help would be great!
Mike
apephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-03, 09:22 AM   #2
nutball
International God of Sex

I run an SGI 1600SW flat-panel from NVIDIA cards (GF3's). The 1600SW has a 16:9-ish ratio (actually it's 1600 x 1024 native). The Linux drivers support this resolution quite happily, and have done for some time.

I've driven the monitors both via DVI and analogue VGA without any issues.

I presume the resolution of the plasma screen will be somewhat lower than this? If so you might be into making up custom modelines, but that's pretty easy to do (did it before 16x10 was a "standard" mode the drivers knew anout).