Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-05, 10:16 AM   #37
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: The Future of PC Gaming Looks VERY Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Gotta agree except for the stinkin' Steam which dosent let me play the same game on 2 PCs at once ... its simply retard & i dont see this doing any good for the PC gaming future.
(edited).
I'm sorry, but this actually works! I can play counter-strike on my laptop at the same time I play it on my other computer(not on the same server though)! I haven't tested hl2 or cs:s cuz' none of 'em would run on either of the systems.. But I haven't played cs for a long time so maybe they've changed some things...
Maybe they could make programs work on computers registered to a specifik person? Ex.: Let's say Peter Pan bought a computer and a laptop and they would both be registered to him through a program or something similar, now he would be able to install programs and games on both machines and on new ones also(registered to him that is)! Or maybe everyone should get a unique code or something? (this should be registered on the computer and only retail-stores / or companies should be able to change 'em!)

This could solve the problem, but then again the companies would lose money... So why would they ever go for an idea like this?
Old 09-11-05, 11:16 AM   #38
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
I have a good reasons for that. as you can see from my sig that i have 3 PCs .. & most of the time i like to do some comparsions or testing or other stuff like applying mods to the game on PC1 & other mods on PC2 .
for exmaple i want to test the high-res skin mod in the SLI PC to see the performance impact , while leaving the *cough* nude Alyx mod in the other.
now i cant do this

i cant do it just because of that stupid idea although that i own my legal copy & have the right to play it in any of my PCs. now dont tell me i should by a copy for each PC i won !!
Well, I agree that its irritating, but if you can play the game on 2 PCs at once (for whatever reason ) that means anyone else can freely let their friends play the game on as many systems as they want with a single copy.

BTW, unless youre talking about playing online, the easy solution is to just run one of them in offline mode. I wanted to test HL2 on my brother's computer when I bought it, so I installed it and logged into my account on his computer. I set it to offline mode and it works fine. I could have gone and played HL2 DM on my system if I wasnt busy.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 11:54 AM   #39
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
BTW, unless youre talking about playing online, the easy solution is to just run one of them in offline mode. I wanted to test HL2 on my brother's computer when I bought it, so I installed it and logged into my account on his computer. I set it to offline mode and it works fine. I could have gone and played HL2 DM on my system if I wasnt busy.
I'm talking about offline (setting the online issues aside).
the problem is you need to log in your PC - using internet connection - to play on offline mode for the first time .. so the logged in information can be stored in your machine to be used for the next time you play in offline mode without the need to connect again.
if you wanted to play in your other PC in offline aswell .. you must connect to internet then log in there .. then play in offline mode. here comes the trouble because you cant log in into the same account at once or it will be banned.
that is logically ok for online users , but not the offline players.

i'm ok with any improvements to eliminate this issue (like what Toss3 suggested for ex.) & the other 2 i mentioned , but going on & on with this is no good for me at least . it discourage me rather than get me into PC gaming.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 12:51 PM   #40
lumpyhed
Are you ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
Does anyone know if licensing of any products other than software works in this fashion?
BOClean lets you install it on all PCs in your household. A rarity.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 09:36 PM   #41
j0j081

I am more excited about pc gaming than ever but this is my first time with a decent system so maybe that's why. I don't know why a few months ago everyone was saying its dying. There was always be a market for it, even if it is small in comparison to consoles.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 12:07 AM   #42
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

Quote:
The upcoming Pentium M is extremely fast. And can easily compete with an FX55, competition for AMD means faster CPU's and lower prices.
that's cool, but can it compete with the fx-57 and the X2?

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 01:07 AM   #43
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Dont know if anyone mentioned them , but i have to add these to the list aswell :
- DX10 (with SM4.0)
- http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=488

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 02:41 AM   #44
killahsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
I share your views about points 3-4, but as of the rest...

*Who needs more useless physics puzzles in videogames? Stack the boxes, push the boxes. These things are better suited to monkeys in a zoo cage! :P

Well I'm more interested in complete physically simulated enviornments. Complete physics simulated animation systems(including true muscular structure). Not just the ragdoll crap. True fluid dynamics. The overhead that this ppu will allow especially in conjunction with dual core cpus, will allow for some seriously impressive animated sequences in real time. Unlike anything we have seen before. So while useless physics puzzles may be trivial in the bigger scale you have to take things in baby steps with jaded gamers.

Quote:
Err, it's a HELL of a lot more expensive now than it was back then. I remember my friend getting a super beefed-up computer in late 1998 which was, in a word, godly, and it cost about $800. Now, we have $300 sound cards, $250 physics cards, AI cards, $600 videocards (with SLI for up to $1200 worth of videocards, no less), $1000 dual-core CPUs, etc. Back then, we had a damn hard time finding anything that even stressed my friend's top-of-the-line PC for at least a year, but now games like Everquest 2, F.E.A.R., hell even Thief 3 can't be run on a $200 videocard at anywhere near high settings, and we haven't even STARTED getting into games that use the physics or AI cards.

Um in 97 i built a high end gaming system which cost me 2500 to build. Not including a monitor etc etc. Hell the cpu alone was like 800 or 900 i forget. Games that use ai cards will scale so that your not trying to run ppu physics on a cpu only system. The price of cpu's hasn't really changed much. The price of high end cards has gotten a bit wild, but hard drives back in the days cost a rediclous amount. Sound cards have always cost a silly amount. The best gaming mouse ever the razer boomslang 2000 cost me 150ish bucks or somthing, i forget. My old school voodoos in 'sli' cost me a silly amount too when they first came out. In fact now its cheaper to build a really solid system then it was in 97/98. But if you expect that system to run real time shadow based games with bump mapping your going to be disapointed. Hell ym cousin plays far cry on a piece of crap 400 dollar dell, lol, and it looks and runs alot better then quake 2 did on my super computer i built for it that cost me 2500.(And yes jackup it was a pentium II and they ruled!)

Quote:
Inventing for them ... but bad for us

I think within 3 years you will disagree with your own statement. Also steam allows me to play hl2 on all ym computers from the same account and even on my cousins computer on the other side of the country, lol. Never tried at the exact same time though. But i do have different mods on systems here in the house on the same account.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote