Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-05, 01:35 PM   #25
Tudor Stefan

Thumbs up Re: will there ever be official support for Video-in?

Thank you kindly. This information is very usefull for me. Great site! Thanks again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neolink Systems: Administrare retele - Consultanta IT
Tudor Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 02:42 PM   #26
Thunderbird

Default Re: will there ever be official support for Video-in?

Again all this sharing is not easy ... but note that nobody prevents you guys from doing it. The rivatv/rivafb detection is inside the "opensource" part of the nvidia driver. A patch can be made to undo these effects but it is at your own risk then and without support from nvidia. Further the issue is more that rivatv/rivafb claim the videocard and that can also cause the driver not to detect the device. (as it isn't "free" anymore)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 04:24 PM   #27
jlo

Is the v5336 driver available for download somewhere, so the lock-thing could be easily disabled, helped by looking the differences between v5336 and v7167?

Or is it too much to ask to show the place where the change has to be made, so rivatv could work at least without DMA (in overlay mode) together with nvidia binary driver?
jlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 04:39 PM   #28
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo
Is the v5336 driver available for download somewhere, so the lock-thing could be easily disabled, helped by looking the differences between v5336 and v7167?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 01:34 AM   #29
Thunderbird

I quickly scanned the coce and it doesn't look very difficult. It is mainly the card detection code in which this stuff takes place. There's one clear call that does most damage but there's a comment near it about vesafb. The call in question reserves all interesting memory for the nvidia driver alone.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 10:30 AM   #30
aeos

ok, any update on this? because i'm sick of windows, but i cant switch to linux completely with a card i bought for the sole purpose of being able to watch tv in linux. would have been nice if nVidia had made it clear that linux support is quite limited to just having their name on the box.

my pny personal cinema 5700 fx or whatever has the 1 chipset rivaTV cant figure out, so nvidia, if you actually care about us, help them for chrissakes.
aeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 01:36 PM   #31
hotbelgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeos
ok, any update on this? because i'm sick of windows, but i cant switch to linux completely with a card i bought for the sole purpose of being able to watch tv in linux. would have been nice if nVidia had made it clear that linux support is quite limited to just having their name on the box.

my pny personal cinema 5700 fx or whatever has the 1 chipset rivaTV cant figure out, so nvidia, if you actually care about us, help them for chrissakes.
See http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...&forum_id=4201

CVS may now include some changes that help, but only one person has reported experiences with the code (negative) and more testers are needed.
hotbelgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 12:24 PM   #32
Gregoire.Favre

My card (GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256 Mb) don't work with dma=1 for rivatv...

If nvidia could help here, it would be great
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote