Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-05, 07:55 PM   #217
killahsin

Default Re: Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

Interesting so EQ2 is insanely cpu bound than by those results. But thats pretty much known already considering how cool the gpu runs when playing eq2 vs most other games, including even cpu heavy ones like hl2.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 03:42 AM   #218
|MaguS|

Yay! I joined you guys. Since going nForce3 I am now getting horrible stuttering during combat... haven't even dared to enter a city since my "upgrade".
Old 03-01-05, 04:22 AM   #219
|MaguS|

NM Fixed it by turning on VSync and Triple Buffering.
Old 03-15-05, 03:57 AM   #220
Madoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
The only reason this game is CPU bound is it has ****ty code. There's really no excuse for it. It dosent have a great physics engine like Havok, the AI is nothing spectacular, and the overhead of a MMO should not be that massive, as we can look at other mmo's that do just as much and arnt dog slow. In conclusion, EQ2's code is shoddy ps1.1 crap written by monkeys stuck in 01.

Oh dear... someone who doesnt know what they are talking about!

Seriously, the game has a complex AI engine. Thankfully it does not require a physics engine like Havok, however the other items it uses are way more complex. Also, as you probably dont play the game based on your comments... there are certain effects that you can enable in game that require PS3. Please could you suggest another MMO that has anywhere near the graphics level of EQ2? I certainly dont know of any... and I am an avid MMO fan. If you wish to compare it to HL2 and other such games played online, then there really is no comparison, as teh databases required for EQ2 are far far more advanced and complex.

But anyway, enough de-railing of this thread!
Just want to report, that running a Leadtek 6800U OCed to 454/1265, I have no stuttering issues at all with driver release 66.93. I have tried running any of the new drivers, and all of them cause the stuttering issue in EQ2. I have not changed anything else apart from the clock frequencies and my card is watercooled. Hope this helps!
Madoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 06:37 PM   #221
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

any news from 77.xx drivers?
Old 06-23-05, 06:10 AM   #222
gram_vaz
Cybersix

i recently played eq2 trial on 77.50 driver with no stuttering.
gram_vaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 07:05 AM   #223
Ghosthunter

I just tried the latest official drivers 77.72 and a huge improvement I was using 71.89 before.

I never got a lot of stuttering before except when hitting my hard drive in queynos, but game overall seems smoother.
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 12:12 AM   #224
Elderblaze

Madoron, the AI is nothing spectacular as previously noted. It's no better or worse then EQ1, or WoW. Yet those games run great. And while EQ2 definatly looks spectacular from a Technical standpoint, it's ART and Consistancy is SERIOUSLY lacking. But hey that's subjective. EQ2's got plenty of flashy special effects (that are poorly executed) but the textures and models are absolute crap from an Art direction point of view. I've played EQ1, DAOC, UO, WoW, and EQ2. EQ2 has by far the worst art i've ever seen in an MMO. WoW is the best looking MMO i've ever played. It's low poly but it fits the theme, and is executed superbly. The art is spectacular and the use of color is just wonderful. From a technical standpoint it's not that impressive, but at the same time they did ALOT with a little. And for this they have 2 million subscbiers vrs 300k. WoW really is a better game.

Art is very subjective though, so it's only an opinion, not a fact. Though the subsciber numbers speak for themselves. And i still stand by my comment that EQ2 does not look Good enough to warrent it's piss poor performance. It looks good, but not enough to drop a Dual core sli 7800 machine to it's knees, and though I havent seen performance numbers for such a machine, I have no doubt that EQ2 will own it. And not because it needs that much power.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-05, 12:38 AM   #225
killahsin

Eq2 has been patching their textures in their main content patches since the last couple months. The 2 last highlevel outdoor zones look sick. I guess the debate is over subjective things like shoyuld dreary areas really look dreary, when there are a vast majority of dreary areas in a game based on the end of the world. It's just design. I mean if the area is supposed to be bland and depressing then it ends up getting users feeling bland and depressed. Thats fundementally one of eq2's problems. Things like this art wise they have been redoing and patching for a few months. As content focused as eq2 is, there needs to be more variety in the landscapes in each zone. This way your not always feeling the same way. MMO art tends to relay an expression upon its users. A fun and playful looking enviornment creates a fun and playful atmosphere which users relate to. Sometimes developers tend to forget that art is an expression and just like any other forms of expression it tranfers over to the people either participating or witnessing it. A sad feeling enviornment will make you eventually feel sad, especially if your into rpg's. EQ2 was designed more as an artform then as a mmo of social engineering. They wanted their areas to to look like what their story lore suggested they were. Thus you get alot of the users commenting on the bland dreary stale color schemese etc etc. I think that the art team forgot what art actually does to people whom witness it. I do believe that as more content patches come out and more expansions and as the world grows that alot of this will be situated and fixed. EQ2's particle system and texture /database systems are really what owns computers. Performance in the game has definatly increased for nv users in the gf6/7 line though thats for sure.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 06:11 AM   #226
vochore

request for chris ray.

hey chris,i remeber wene you did your initial testing of eq2,s performance and how soe was using the outdated shaders 1.1 i believe.
i was hoping that now that the new expansion was out if you intended on doing anouther test with the new expansion to see if they upgraded anything so as to increase performance with the game.

druadon starcrusher
blackburrow server
lev 50 fury
what is a fury..a druid with an attitued
vochore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 01:37 PM   #227
Ronin
Hardware is my hobby...

They didn't. Would be a waste of his time.
FX60 @ 3.09GHz - XP120 w/Panaflow M1A :: Armor V8000 Black :: K8N Diamond Plus :: 2x1GB G.Skill PC4000 :: eVGA 8800GTX :: 1 80GB Raptor (Boot) :: 2x250GB T7K250/2x160GB WD SE Striped :: 2x160GB Raptors Striped :: 2x750GB Seagates Striped :: Pioneer A09/Pioneer BDR-101AS :: X-Fi Elite Pro :: Gigaworks S750 :: Seasonic S12-600 :: G7/MS Natural KB Elite :: 2405FPW
----------------------
AQ3 - 182496 :: 2k6 - 13723 :: 2k5 - 18857 :: 2k3 - 37045 :: 2k1 - 57357
nVIDIA Global Forum Moderator :: LV2Go Forum Moderator
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 01:57 AM   #228
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

In response to vochore's post.

SoE did change the shaders somewhat, they did something with the water for sure, It runs soo much better now, Now you can even set it to update every frame and it still runs good. All though im sure they could do more optimizings.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote