Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-05, 03:02 AM   #1
Green

Default no cdrom device found

Hello all
I've tried to run Mandriva Move (Live CD) on my Asus A8N-SLI.
I can initially boot from the CD, but then I'm getting "no cdrom device found" message. Do I need to install NVidia IDE driver in order to make my CDROM drive accessible? If yes, there can I find this driver?

Thanks!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 09:27 AM   #2
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Default Re: no cdrom device found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
Asus A8N-SLI.
Do I need to install NVidia IDE driver in order to make my CDROM drive accessible?
I have Asus A8N-E myself and stock kernel (2.6.13, 2.6.13.1) can handle the chipset (nForce4 Ultra) just fine.

Quote:
I'm getting "no cdrom device found" message.
When do you get this message?

Assuming your CD-ROM drive is connected to IDE-bus, can you provide the output of following commands:

Code:
dmesg | grep hd
Code:
grep cdrom /etc/fstab
Code:
ls -l /dev/cd*
Disclaimer: I'm not a Mandrake/Mandriva user. I'm just trying to get more information out of you.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 07:19 AM   #3
Green

this happened during initial setup process, right after USB detection. At this time I have only BusyBox prompt.
I have no problems with SUSE Live CD on the same PC. I'll try Mandrake CD+floppy boot tonight.

thanks
Old 09-13-05, 01:46 PM   #4
Green

...after some time
I can boot from SUSE Live CD and 'normal' Mandriva installation CD, but I still can't boot from Mandriva Move CD. It seems that required driver is not included on that CD.
So, which IDE CDROM driver could help me ?
Old 09-17-05, 03:59 AM   #5
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

I have absolutely no idea how Mandriva installer works or what options it offers during installation, but I would try to load amd74xx, and restarting udev if installer is using it. If udev is not used, try creating block device node(s) by hand:
Code:
mknod /dev/hda b 3 0
mknod /dev/hdb b 0 64
mknod /dev/hdc 22 0
mknod /dev/hdd 22 64
hda == primary master, hdb == primary slave, hdc == secondary master, hdd == secondary slave

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
Old 09-25-05, 03:17 PM   #6
Green

does not help
it seems that there is no proper support for this controller in this particular kernel (Move). I've seen some postings saying that amd74xx source should be modified in order to support NF4-attached storage.
Anyway, 'normal' distro works and this is good
Old 09-26-05, 11:05 AM   #7
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Hmm, true, it could really be that the kernel on the Live CD is a little too old or just slightly ripped not to support nForce4. In that case there are not too many options. Of course you could build your own kernel and create otherwise identical CD, but that would sort of kill the idea of downloadable Live CD.

While I don't have any further suggestions, it's good to hear the actual distro works. It's good to have a choice, isn't it?-)