Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-03, 09:52 AM   #1
Gozer

Default Recover from GLX update "bug"

I have a fresh install of RH8. I ran NVchooser.sh to determine the correct drivers. I was able to update the NVIDIA_kernel just fine. However, when I went to install NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191 I could not find the current GLX version to rpm -e. I ran `rpm -gla | grep GLX` and found nothing. I also checked /usr/share/doc/ for the GLX docs and found nothing. I skimmed around the Gnome2 system utilities and found nothing. So, I went ahead and ran rpm -Uvh on the new NVIDIA_GLX driver without first doing the prescribed rpm -e. Well, as the README indicated, it messed everything up. I ran rpm -e on the new GLX driver I just installed and it let me startx without any perceivable problems. However, it's still not happy and when I log out of X it displays a list of errors apparently related to the now missing files. And, I'd like to make sure I have installed the latest drivers correctly.

What steps do I take to clean up the mess so I can start over? And, where did I go wrong trying to find my current version of GLX to erase first? I suspect I'm not the only one that had their impatience get the better of them.

Thanks
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 01:06 PM   #2
bwkaz

rpm -qa | grep GLX prints nothing? If it prints nothing, then you don't have an older version of the NVIDIA_GLX package installed. Many distros (Mandrake, for example) don't. I know SuSE does, but I don't know about RH.

If you don't have an older package installed, then go ahead and install the version you have again.

Are you sure you made the necessary changes to /etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4 if it exists)? This is detailed in the README, so I would think you did. But you say nothing about it, so I figure it's probably a good idea to ask.

If it still doesn't work after installing NVIDIA_GLX and editing your X config file, then attach your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. It will probably have some indications of what to do in it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 02:19 PM   #3
Gozer

Apparently there must not have been a previous version of GLX then. I'll take another look at the XF86Config and the directions to make sure I made the correct changes/additions.

Thanks
Old 02-07-03, 09:18 AM   #4
Gozer

As it turns out, RH8 does not install GLX on the initial install. I also had a typo in my XF86Config that would have prevented it from starting.
Old 02-07-03, 02:18 PM   #5
bwkaz

So is it working then?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 02:27 PM   #6
Gozer

Yep, working just fine. As mentioned elsewhere in these forums, this newest version isn't spectacular with 2D. Have yet to try 3D, but soon.

Thanks for the help!