Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-05, 07:24 AM   #1
Linuxnewbie81

Default Installing video card for newbie

Starting on teaching myself linux. Currently using Fedora Core 2. I purchased a Nvidia Geforce fx 5200 ultra to put in my linux box so I don't have to share memory. Being a newbie at linux found a few problems. I installed the card then booted the machine. X failed to load because I assume no video drivers. I then routed to the cdrom where I had the drivers at and installed them. But now it won't let me start X back up. Still says not configured right. Any suggestions?
Linuxnewbie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 08:06 AM   #2
vkov_tinsky
CS&Maths Student

Default Re: Installing video card for newbie

Quote:
Still says not configured right.
If the driver has been installed correctly then what you have to do now is edit the X.org config file (not sure what it exactly is for Fedora Core, though will be in /etc/X11 and might be called xorg.conf or XF86Config).

Go to the Module Secion make sure you have have the line: Load "glx", and if Load "dri" and/or Load "glcore" exist, remove those lines.
Then go to the the Driver Section, and replace the line line starting with Driver with: Driver "nvidia". Hopefully that should be all.
(Assuming you have been running X with your onboard graphics card before)

If it works, it might be a good idea to grab the newest driver from nvidia.com
For more information see the Nvidia Installer Readme
vkov_tinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 07:12 PM   #3
ricercar
fugue master

Arrow Re: Installing video card for newbie

I find that fedora core (RHEL3 and VMware ESX Server) has problems recognizing my FX 5200.

Try to install with the text installer, and ID your video card as a GeForce 2 MX 400. Then after you have the base OS install, you can install the NVIDIA drivers (from the command line, not with X windows operating).