Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-16-05, 03:56 AM   #1
HIWTHI

Default Home Is Where The Heart Is

When I'm not working, at school, doing homework, playing games or being social I've been pursuing my hobby of working on my own first person shooter game using my own engine. Anyone who's tried this themselves knows it isn't an easy feat, but it's a fun challenge and a challenge that will have a nice accomplishment once I complete it. Out of all the forums I visit, I respect and listen to the opinions of all of you the most. With two small sample trailers under my belt and with a story concept done I wanted to ask you for constructive criticism; this is your chance to help in making a game. These graphics are only temporary as I haven't hired any artists and have barely started on the game engine. Please watch the trailers and let me know what of you think of the story and please suggest ways to improve the concept? Thank you very much.

Teaser Trailer (Tells about the general story):
http://www.newworldvideogames.com/do...%20Trailer.wmv

First Trailer:
http://www.newworldvideogames.com/do...php?category=4

Screenshots:
http://www.newworldvideogames.com/sc...php?category=4
Old 10-16-05, 07:19 AM   #2
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

Default Re: Home Is Where The Heart Is

Congrats on taking your first baby steps...
Its hard to give consturctive criticism on such earily work but one thing I would like to say is if you're doing concept videos, make them look like a concept.....(maybe I'm missing something, no sound at work) but what I see when I watch your vids is dis-jointed art\animation work and I'm missing the concept part.
But I did see three of my favorite things.....Bigfoot, Nessie and UFOs
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 12:00 PM   #3
HIWTHI

Thank you for your comments; I know visually they don't look very good, but at this early stage I didn't want to go full fledge into the engine until I was sure that a first-person shooter was the way to go. The sound does add a lot especially for the longer trailer and the music for the second one adds more momentum that's missing when only watching the video. The first trailer, the longer one, looks horrible, because it was rendered on my old 64mb video card with no anti-aliasing. I'm finally contacting artists and getting animation, water, and higher detailed terrain ready for my second engine. If you have a chance please listen to the sound and let me know what you think of the story. I'll write up a little design doc and post it later today detailing more of the story.
Old 10-16-05, 12:45 PM   #4
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Like what Pain said its hard to say much until a later stage of the development.

looking at the screenshots i see some good concepts .. the snowy region , the Pyroarc Gun (reminds of HL's Gauss Gun ) & the monsters.
i say .. as long as you keep it outdoors , you are doing good. i got bored with indoors only games.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:12 PM   #5
mx125race

Send a message via AIM to mx125race Send a message via MSN to mx125race

lookin good
mx125race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 08:21 AM   #6
HIWTHI

Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I meant to post this a couple days ago, but better late than never:

Home Is Where The Heart Is Levels:

Levels(Main Boss):

1. Inside House
2. Outside House
3. Woods (Big Foot)
4. Jungle (Chupacabra)
5. Farm (Jersey Devil)
6. Lake (Lochness Monster)
7. Snow (Abominable Snowman)
8. Industrial (UFOs and Aliens)
9. Pivotal turning point level where story can branch off
10. Final battle depending on your decision in previous level (Pan)

11, 12, 13. Levels that are fought if you choose the alternate story arch

I know the design doc is pretty basic and doesn't go into great detail right now. My goal is to make sure each level is unique both in setting and objectives as well as making each boss fight unique and memorable. I'm not sure how you feel about spoilers or if any of you want me to post the whole story, but if you do just reply letting me know.