Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-03, 01:23 PM   #1
cooper2000

Default What are those modules in XF86Config good for?

What are those modules in XF86Config good for?

In my XF86Config I see these modules:

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "glx" # This one is for NVidia OpenGL
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
EndSection

Do I need them? Do they have any impact on performance? Are there others I might need?
cooper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 05:58 PM   #2
bwkaz

"dbe" is the Double-Buffer Extension module. It double-buffers your display to prevent tearing/flickering (well... it won't fix a low refresh rate's flickering, but it helps with tearing). Basically, the X server draws to an off-screen buffer, then calls some sort of swapbuffers function that blasts the offscreen buffer into the framebuffer on the video card, all in one go. This happens during the vertical retrace, usually.

"type1" is support for Adobe Type1 fonts. That font format is a competitor to the TrueType font format, and not a bad one at that. If you look in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1, you'll see all your system's Type1 font files.

"speedo" is the same thing, but for Speedo fonts. These are in ..../fonts/Speedo.

"extmod" is a collection of very useful X extensions. Although I normally don't see it in a Load line -- I almost always see it in a SubSection line instead. Whatever. As long as this is working, I guess.

"freetype" is an opensource TrueType font renderer.

As for others, look in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules and /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions to see what you've got available. Remove the "lib" and ".so" (or ".a") from those files' names, and you'll have your candidate for a module. However, looking at what I have available, there isn't much else that a lot of people can use...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-03, 08:39 AM   #3
cooper2000

Thank You!
That has made it clear for me.

Thorsten
cooper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote