Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-03, 05:00 PM   #1
lob

Send a message via ICQ to lob Send a message via AIM to lob
Unhappy nForce2 Graphics problem

Hi all,

I buy a new PC with the MSI K7N2G-L motherboard that use the nForce2 chipset and I have some trobles when I use Xfree:

I'm using Mandrake 9.0 with Xfree 4
I installed all the files to make Network, sounds and graphics running.
And it is running !

My problem is that when Xfree is running, I can't go back to textmode
-> Using Ctr+Alt+F1 (or another Fx) I have a black screnn. Using Ctr+Alt+F7, I go back to the graphic view.
-> Shuting down my PC, Xfree shutdown and after I just have the black screen, not the blue screnn of Mandreake
-> Starting manually XFree using startx, I can't go back to textmode so I must reboot my PC using a remote connection :-/

Have you some ideas of how to solve my problem ?

My PC is:
AMD Athlon XP 1880+
MSI K7N2G-L (nForce2 with GFX)
512Mo DDR 333

Thank you,

Lob

PS: In my old PC, I have a RivaTnt1 using the last driver and it is working fine.
lob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-03, 06:37 PM   #2
erwos

Are you using nvfb? That tends to create problems like you're talking about.

-Erwos
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-03, 01:17 AM   #3
lob

What is nvfb ? It is a module ?

Checking with lsmod, I just have nvidia and nvnet related to nVidia :-/
Old 02-13-03, 07:39 AM   #4
bwkaz

What's in your /proc/fb file?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-03, 05:03 PM   #5
lob

$more /proc/fb
0 VESA VGA

What is fb ? I never understand any thing about it. Is it some this like FrameBufer ?
Why are we using this driver ? What are its interactions with the X mode ?

Thank you for your answers and solutions :-)

Lob
Old 02-13-03, 06:07 PM   #6
bwkaz

Yes, it's a framebuffer driver. It's used to get a higher-resolution console (higher resolution than 80x25 text mode, that is).

As long as you're using VESA VGA, though, you should be fine. This would be the problem if you were using rivafb (I don't know what /proc/fb calls it, though), because you'd have 2 different, independent drivers trying to access the same hardware and keep each other in sync, which is very likely not going to happen. But the nVidia X drivers and the VESA VGA framebuffer drivers can coexist, at least normally.

So. That's not it, what is? Well, I wish I knew. Maybe if you try the same version of the driver that worked with your TNT card? Did the TNT work in this (nForce2) motherboard? Try different combinations of things, to see if you can narrow down when the problem happens.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-03, 06:48 PM   #7
lob

Ok, I will try to add my Tnt in the motherboard to cehck it.
For the Tnt I was using the same relase of the nVidia driver (the latest available).

I will post some news in 2 days.

But is some one have others ideas :-)

@+

Lob
Old 02-15-03, 04:01 PM   #8
genuoob

Default NForce2 exits to blank screen, not just Mandrake

Hi lob,

I have the same board, same problem. I also get it under SuSE 8.1 and a Gentoo 1.4-rc2 system I just bootstrapped from source.

My guess is that this is not just one board, or even the built-in IGP. Some people with the SPP chipset version report the same problem using AGP graphics boards. You can read other threads on Mandrake and recent cards, some things work the same as your system.

I have tested the machine with the old XFree86 nv driver, treating it as a GeForce4 MX. I also brought it up under the XFree VESA driver. (This is an X driver, not the VESA console framebuffer device.) These do not give a blank screen on exit, but they don't give much performance either. I have also tested the VESA VGA framebuffer console. The Nvidia driver seems to know about this, so it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help.

Besides being a bug in the last two Nvidia unified drivers there is one thing that could be going on. The drivers without this problem do not know about the TV output built into the IGP.

From comments read in other places I suspect the driver is setting TV as display 0 and CRT as display 1. I haven't tracked this down yet.

Possible workaround: Some people with problems on other Nvidia boards have set up Twinview and switched displays. There is an option to tell it which monitor is which, but I think this still requires the order "tv,crt" and manual switching. I have not been quite brave enough to try this, yet.

On my system I can still type blind with a blank screen and reboot.

I have been hoping I could restart the Xserver in the old VESA mode and then exit normally. No luck so far.

Immediate practical advice: Follow Mandrake's instructions for enabling reboot by anyone on the local console (with cntrl+alt+del). This will save you from using a remote login. And change your default init level so you do not go into graphics mode until you type startx or change init levels.

To get a text console when you come up, if the system is set for default graphics, type in the text mode runlevel at the boot prompt. I believe that "init 3" gets you everything except graphics on Mandrake. Check documentation.

Some people seem to have gotten past this, but I don't yet know any simple fix. I hesitate to get into unstable software and modify things I don't understand.

Hope some of this helps. I'll keep looking for a solution too.
genuoob is offline   Reply With Quote