Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-05, 10:57 PM   #1
ynnek

Default dual boot fedora linux.. repartioning a 250 gig drive.. things to look out for?

Hey, I'm thinking about install fedora linux.. by repartioning a 250 gig 2nd drive (without losing data).. my primary drive is a 80 gig win xp that I do not plan to touch..

My question is will GRUB have any problems trying to access /boot that may sit above the 137 gig line? This is on a dell 8300 with a 875 chipset if that makes any diff.

Another option I'm thinking of is getting a 3rd drive dedicated for linux.

How about the MBR stuff on my 80 gigger.. do i have anything to really worry about? or should I expect smooth sailing?

Its been a lonng long time before I've done this..
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 04:54 AM   #2
ynnek

Default Re: dual boot fedora linux.. repartioning a 250 gig drive.. things to look out for?

well, I got knoppix.. and tried running qtparted.. and it did not like my 250 gig drive with one big NTFS partion.. refused to run it..

Dinking around, it looks like I can probably do it manually through ntfsresize and fdisk...

but you know what? after spending a little time in KDE? was it.. and how sluggish things ran when it was paging my hd.. and though long and hard about it..

I'm just going to stick with Windows and do my tinkering projects around in Windows instead.

Maybe if I get another HD.. although this means it will have to run with my dvd drive, at a slower speed.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote