Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-03, 01:16 AM   #1
rudemood12

Send a message via AIM to rudemood12
Default where to save "hdparm" settings?

hey guys, i just followed a link from another thread to an HD tuning website for linux, and it mentions that i should --

"Be sure to add the above line to your /etc/rc.d/* scripts once you're sure the system is stable"

i found the rd.d file, but im not exactly sure where or how i should put my settings in there, its kind of a tricky looking file, or im not even sure if i got the right one... the tips from the article upped my hd transfers from 3.65MB/s sec to 25MB/s sec.!!!
rudemood12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-03, 04:03 AM   #2
anar

That depends on which distribution you use:

- SuSE starts /etc/init.d/boot.local

- Debian starts every script in /etc/rc.boot
anar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-03, 08:08 AM   #3
bwkaz

SysV init systems (RH, Mandrake, pretty much everything except Slackware I think) have a set of scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d (of course, the directory may vary, but it should always be init.d, and it'll always be under /etc somewhere). One of the files in here will be executed last. Which file that is depends on the symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (or rc5.d if you boot to runlevel 5). The symlinks in that directory that start with S get executed in alphabetical order, so the last S one that gets listed is what you're going to want to edit. On my system, that points at /etc/init.d/rc.local; on others, it may point at /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local, or even somewhere else. But edit that file and add your hdparm command to the bottom of it.

Alternatively, skip hdparm altogether and just recompile your kernel to have full support for your IDE chipset. The kernel will by default set the IDE controller to the highest speed it says it and the drive can support, and it'll also turn DMA on if you tell it to in the kernel configuration. There is no need for hdparm once you've done that.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote