Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-05, 11:16 PM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: Should PC Gamers buy into the hype?

If the majority of PC gamers actually bought games instead of stealing them perhaps more developers would support PC gaming.
Old 11-22-05, 11:27 PM   #26
Infinity666
Yeah I like vw's so what?

Send a message via AIM to Infinity666 Send a message via MSN to Infinity666

pc>xbox360
Got it?

.....\____
..../__|__\___
....\(o)___(o)/
Infinity666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 11:30 PM   #27
evilchris

No.
Do you have an X360? I'm thinking you don't. This would mean your opinion is useless. I have an X360 and a decent gaming PC. My conclusion is, both have their strengths and neither replaces the other.
Old 11-23-05, 12:06 AM   #28
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aAv7
I didn't buy into the hype because quite frankly, xbox sucks. I'm a proud Nintendo fan boy and have no interest in anything else console-wise. I'm mainly a "pc snob". =D
Bah, nintendo is pretty much gone from the console scene. I think a better description for the revolution would be "game appliance" rather than "game console."

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 12:09 AM   #29
Infinity666
Yeah I like vw's so what?

Send a message via AIM to Infinity666 Send a message via MSN to Infinity666

no i dont have a 360 and why should i? I have been playing 360 for a month now (my friend works at gamestop) There is simply nothing going for the 360 it has the hardware but not the software. Ms decided to push so they could get the holiday launch and look what has happened

.....\____
..../__|__\___
....\(o)___(o)/
Infinity666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 12:16 AM   #30
evilchris

You've been playing full retail finished copies of games for a month? Wow, some only went gold two weeks ago!

Anyways, look what happened. Kickass console, kickass games. I'm satisfied.
Old 11-23-05, 12:33 AM   #31
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Meh, is it just me, or are IGN's articles becoming poorly written?
When have they ever not been poorly written? I haven't ever liked IGN, gamespy, etc. IMO you are better off getting your information from 12 year olds in IRC chat rooms that use l33t speak.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 11-23-05, 12:35 AM   #32
Smokey
Team Rainbow

I think the main thing is you either like consoles or you dont, me personally dont like them, but understand why a lot of people do and wont knock them for doing so!
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-05, 12:37 AM   #33
Rakeesh

Personally I get bored with consoles too fast. They just seem so slow (gameplay style wise) in comparison, especially FPS and RTS games. If console gamers were able to play head to head vs PC gamers in these games, they would get slammed every time because the controls on a PC are like ten times as versatile and efficient.

Not only that but I tend to find that you get much more value out of PC games than console games by far. Most games PC are heavily extensible through modding and other things, and there is a hell of a lot broader selection of PC games than console games (with console games you are strictly limited to A titles, whereas on the PC it goes way beyond that however.) And that said, you don't have to spend $60 every time you want a new game.

Old 11-23-05, 08:08 AM   #34
faraday

As someone pointed out correctly, the hardware specs of the xbox are pretty damn high, and it's quite normal that these first games don't take full use of the hardware, it'll probably take some time for the API to evolve also, but once they start making xbox360 specificly coded games, and well coded, I'm pretty sure we'll see some pretty impressive things.

I also agree with someone that stated that one does not replace the other , I was thinking of upgrading my main rig this xmas (A64 Slot 754 3000+ , 6800 vanilla AGP) , but now I may ponder an xbox instead....would be probably 3 times cheaper than the upgrade I envisioned. Plus , I do have a 26 inch LG LCD TV with VGA and component input, 1280x768 , so at least I'd have the xbox with 720p.

Decisions decisions...
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 08:27 AM   #35
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

Well I was considering getting a 360 but will probably put it off for a bit. One reason... what games are avail for it?? Yeah, I know you can play all the old xbox games on it, but I can also play all of those on my PC and I already have them and have already played them all anyway. I still have not played Fear (installed but not played it...) or finished Quake 4 and I still have Starwars Battlefront 2 sitting in its box on my shelf. Are there any really big new titles coming soon or out now??? Is there anything the 360 can do right now that PC's can't??
Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 10:43 AM   #36
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trail
Well I was considering getting a 360 but will probably put it off for a bit. One reason... what games are avail for it?? Yeah, I know you can play all the old xbox games on it, but I can also play all of those on my PC and I already have them and have already played them all anyway. I still have not played Fear (installed but not played it...) or finished Quake 4 and I still have Starwars Battlefront 2 sitting in its box on my shelf. Are there any really big new titles coming soon or out now???
People's favorites so far seem to be Perfect Dark Zero, Condemned, PGR3, and Kameo. In the pipeline, there's Gears of War coming next year, and personally I'm also looking forward to N3, Mass Effect, and Too Human (although there's very little information about the last two other than being backed by solid developers).

And actually, you can't play *all* the old Xbox games yet, they're still updating the emulator and right now only around 200 titles work. More will be added as they work on it. I just hope they eventually support Panzer Dragoon Orta and Breakdown.

Quote:
Is there anything the 360 can do right now that PC's can't??
That's a bit of a hard question to answer. Technologically, high-end PCs are pretty close to the Xbox 360 in capabiltities, but few games ever take advantage of that power. So right now, you'll find a few effects that the Xbox 360 uses plentifully that aren't used by many PC games (such as motion blur and displacement mapping). The Xbox 360 seems to have more convenience features, like custom soundtracks in any game, the unified online friends list, and online ranking and feedback system to keep griefers out of games with good people, etc. It's also handy if you want to stream media to your entertainment center from your PC, although that option requires WinXP-MCE.

There's also that cool music visualizer that you get with the system (sure wish someone would make that into a screensaver )
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote