Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-04, 11:05 AM   #25
3GreenChromies

Default Re: Compiling linux drivers on Debian

I've been used the nvidia driver on Debian testing and unstable for some time now and never had any problems. You shouldn't need to recompile your kernel or anything special like that. You just need your kernel-image and kernel-headers packages, then run the installer (as root, without X running). If you're getting strange errors something might be broken from symlinking and fiddling with the kernel-source package (which should be unneccesary). Try apt-getting the kernel-image and kernel-headers for 2.6.8 and starting over fresh.
3GreenChromies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 02:34 PM   #26
omry_y

Thumbs up Re: Compiling linux drivers on Debian

3GreenChromies, I just managed to install it finally before I saw your message, and you are right.
My problems was caused by an improperly installed kernel-headers package, and by the lack of kernel-kbuild package.
I used module-assistant to setup the the kernel-headers package symlinks correctly, than the problem was that the kernel header package had a symlink to kernel-kbuild.
when I got that, the nvidia installer finally manager to build the driver.
I am happy to say, that now the only problem is that the font is too small, now that I can use higher resulution.
:-)
Thanks to everyone who assisted me.
omry_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 05:55 PM   #27
barp21

Quote:
Originally Posted by omry_y
3GreenChromies, I just managed to install it finally before I saw your message, and you are right.
My problems was caused by an improperly installed kernel-headers package, and by the lack of kernel-kbuild package.
I used module-assistant to setup the the kernel-headers package symlinks correctly, than the problem was that the kernel header package had a symlink to kernel-kbuild.
when I got that, the nvidia installer finally manager to build the driver.
I am happy to say, that now the only problem is that the font is too small, now that I can use higher resulution.
:-)
Thanks to everyone who assisted me.

Hello!

I have that same problem. Could you write me how You manage with it ? If You could pls. write commands step by step, because when someone writes that he made symlink i dont know`t exacly how to do it (ln -s bo what next).

Pls.help
barp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 03:59 AM   #28
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

hi all.

This might look as a short HOWTO to install the latest NVIDIA binary package on debian in a simple and straightforward way.

1) Identify your kernel.
In a terminal of your choice, type: uname -r.
This should result in a line like: 2.6.10-i386-blahblah. This is your kernel "name"

From now on, be sure you are root (su, then type in your root passwd)

2) Get the correct headers-source
Now it's time to get the headers or the kernel source. I personally recommend the headers, 'cause if you are not interested in making your own custom kernel, there's no need to use the full source tree (300-400 MB of source code!). Just get them this way:
apt-get install kernel-headers-`uname -r`. Please note the reverse quotes used in the command. Otherwise, instead of the reverse quote and what is inside, you could just paste the output you had in point 1) just after "headers-", without blank spaces.

3) Make sure you don't have any debian-related nvidia packages installed
To do so, type in in a terminal: dpkg -l |grep nvidia |grep ii . If you have any output, e.g. nvidia-kernel-common, or something the like, be sure to uninstall and purge them with the command: dpkg --purge package_names.

4) Get the current nvidia driver
Open a browser and get the latest driver from nvidia. (do this without being root)

5)Get out from the graphical interface.
Now get out of the grafical interface by pressing simultaneously ctrl-alt-F1. Once there, login as root, and do a:
/etc/init.d/kdm stop. (of course, use gdm instead of kdm i you use gnome with gdm, or xdm if you simply use xdm.)

5) Install the binary package
Now, all you have to do is, in the directory where you downloaded the nvidia installer:
sh NVIDIA-blahblah....run and say Yes Yes Yes 'till it compiles your own kernel interface.

6) xorg conf file and test
Now, you should have xorg installed, or xfree86. You have to configure manually it to load the nvidia driver. To do this, (always as root), use an editor of your choice (well, in text-only mode you can use vi, vim, emacs, nano, pico ...) to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if you have xorg), or /etc/X11/XF86configSomethingIDon'tRemember (if you have XFree86)
Now create somewhere (wherever you like, actually, in a region between an EndSection and a Section) a new section this way:

Section "Device"
Identifier "MyNvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
EndSection

Then add another new section like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "MyScreen"
Device "MyNvidia"

Monitor "Your monitor's name"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Where the monitor's name is the "Identifier" in your "Monitor" section

Ok, now look for a section named "ServerLayout"

Somewhere there you shold see a line which says: Screen "Screen Name"

Comment it out (by adding a # on the beginning of the line), and add a new one like:
Screen "MyScreen"

To finish it all, search for the two lines and comment them:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

And you should be done.

Now save your changes, and reboot X by doing a:

/etc/init.d/kdm start As before, change kdm according to your needs.

Now you should see the NVIDIA logo, and then everything should work.

I hope I didn't add to many typos, and that you find this useful.

Best,

d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
debian_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-05, 12:19 PM   #29
barp21

Now you should see the NVIDIA logo, and then everything should work.

I hope I didn't add to many typos, and that you find this useful.

Best,

d_p[/quote]

Thanks a lot - it works fine

Best
barp21
barp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 06:25 AM   #30
bobbiac

hi....just curious if any1 has gotten a Dell lcd, PCIE 6800 Ultra, and the new amd64 kernel to work yet?
bobbiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 05:34 PM   #31
Sir Isaac

Thanks for the info... It worked great.
Sir Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote