Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-05, 02:11 PM   #1
Lethe

Default Uninstall nvdia module each new kernel build

A question for the nVidia guys here.

Why is it when I build a new kernel and (obviously) have to build a new nvidia module does the old one have to be 'uninstalled'? No other modules behave this way, and to be honest, it gets a pain when I am testing kernel builds and switching from last kernel to new kernel to keep having to do this.

Why can't each nvidia module just be assigned to the kernel image name as per normal modules in the /lib/modules/ trees? then every kernel image would already have the nvidia module it needs, as it already has been built (just like other modules).

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 02:29 PM   #2
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Default Re: Uninstall nvdia module each new kernel build

Well, actually you can have multiple kernel with their respective drivers, provided that the new kernel has a different name than the previous.

After the first kernel install (the one which also installs nvidia-settings and the proprietary drivers nvidia_glx and libglx), you can add as many new kernel as you want simply by running the installer with the -K option. E.g.: you are running kernel 2.6.9 with its module, but also have 2.6.13 and 2.6.14.2, you can add their module by doing:
sh NVIDIA_installer_blah.run -K -k 2.6.13, and the same with 2.6.14.

Hope this is what you were looking for, if not I apologize

best,

d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
debian_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 02:38 PM   #3
Lethe

Yes it is. Well I never knew that! I pretty well read all the readme.txt file...

Thank you!

Nick
Old 11-25-05, 02:50 PM   #4
joffe

In case you test the same kernel just with different options in it and compile manually, you probably issue the commands make;make modules_install
The latter will most likely erase the contents of existing modules directory along with the nvidia driver.

Since I don't have a graphical login, I boot into the new kernel without a working nvidia driver, make sure the kernel is good to go and then do
./nvidia-installer -K
joffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 02:53 PM   #5
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Shakespeare never wrote READMEs...

d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Old 11-25-05, 03:45 PM   #6
Lethe

OK, I am confused now on this. Here is example.

I am on kernel 2.6.14.2. I patch my kernel source tree to 2.6.14.3 and build. Install image and modules. The modules go in /lib/modules/2.6.14.3 tree - they do not touch existing kernel tree!

Then sort lilo and reboot into new kernel (I use runlevel3). In console I then build nvidia module for new kernel - but it always says I have already a driver and it needs to be uninstalled?

Yes I do have a driver - but not in new kernel 2.6.14.3 module tree I don't - it exists in 2.6.14.2 tree!

Nick
Old 11-25-05, 03:46 PM   #7
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by debian_penguin

Shakespeare never wrote READMEs...

d_p
Some people think Shakespeare never wrote anything - Marlow did...

Nick
Old 11-26-05, 05:26 AM   #8
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Hi Lethe!

Did you specify the command line option "-K" (kernel module only) when you ran the installer?

sh NVIDIA-installer-doodledoodle.run -K

should do the trick.

Bye,

d_p

Old 11-26-05, 08:15 AM   #9
Lethe

Yes, I see the error of my ways.

I got it now - I didn't realise that there was MORE stuff added than the kernel module. I see now that once that has been installed I only need build the new module for current kernel.

Thanks for the help.

Nick