Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-05, 12:43 PM   #1
timonoj

Default Problems compiling on Debian

Well, I've just downloaded the latest Nvidia linux driver, and tried to make it work on my Knoppix installed linux. It's the v3.8.1, wich has a 2.6.11 debian kernel. When it tries to compile, it says i haven't got the kernel source headers. Well, after looking around a little bit i just found some other files (in my HD; just in another folder, something like kernel-source instead the one like linux-2.6.11 the installer looks for, both of them in the same folder). Sorry for that imprecissions, but i'm not on my desktop right now :?
Well, I copy the files that I found onto the folder the installer looks for, as far it was empty. The thing seems to work for a while, but a few moments after it crashes, in the log says that it didn't found the scripts/Makefile.build script... I found a Makefile (without .build) just in the previous folder, but i think that's starting to be quite messy... How can I try to compile the whole thing? What would you suggest me to do? Thanks a lot!
timonoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 11:14 PM   #2
penguin

Default Re: Problems compiling on Debian

I have exactly the same problem!

The error messages suggest that the source of the problem might be that the .config file that comes with the kernel-source pkg (which was installed after the fact) does not match the configuration of the running kernel.

I'm not sure how to fix that.
penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 06:39 AM   #3
utanja
Debian All the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by timonoj
Well, I've just downloaded the latest Nvidia linux driver, and tried to make it work on my Knoppix installed linux. It's the v3.8.1, wich has a 2.6.11 debian kernel. When it tries to compile, it says i haven't got the kernel source headers. Well, after looking around a little bit i just found some other files (in my HD; just in another folder, something like kernel-source instead the one like linux-2.6.11 the installer looks for, both of them in the same folder). Sorry for that imprecissions, but i'm not on my desktop right now :?
Well, I copy the files that I found onto the folder the installer looks for, as far it was empty. The thing seems to work for a while, but a few moments after it crashes, in the log says that it didn't found the scripts/Makefile.build script... I found a Makefile (without .build) just in the previous folder, but i think that's starting to be quite messy... How can I try to compile the whole thing? What would you suggest me to do? Thanks a lot!
the easiest way to solve this is to recompile the linux kernel (2.6.11), reinstall the nvidia drivers and reboot...then you will not have this problem...
or....try using the debian repository for the 2.6.11 kernel and its headers...
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 07:51 AM   #4
timonoj

Well, I think I've already downloaded the repository (apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.11), however, the problem starts here, it doesn't seem to create that Makefile.build file needed by the nvidia installer. BTW, how can I rebuild the kernel? Doesn't sound to be a piece of cake...
Old 05-10-05, 09:15 AM   #5
carmen

Quote:
Well, I think I've already downloaded the repository (apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.11), however, the problem starts here, it doesn't seem to create that Makefile.build file needed by the nvidia installer. BTW, how can I rebuild the kernel? Doesn't sound to be a piece of cake...
dnt use the nvidia installer, its highly prone to failure. install kernel-package, nvidia-kernel-source ,and nvidia-glx. untar /usr/src/nividia-whatever.tgz and cd to /usr/src/linux and 'make-kpkg kernel_image modules_image' which will build you a new kernel and nvidia module.. then dpkg -i kernel...-.deb and nvidia...-.deb.

its even easier on gentoo: emerge nvidia-kernel
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 10:10 AM   #6
Fortean

Quote:
Try doing "make cloneconfig" as root in the source directory (usually /usr/src/linux). That should configure things for you. If not, just do make && make modules_install afterwards and you're set.
Fortean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 05:46 PM   #7
utanja
Debian All the Way

Quote:
this is really simple.....see this
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.php

also....i have been using the nvidia installer without any problems with all of the driver since 5336 ...
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 05:16 AM   #8
timonoj

Right! Now i have my compiled driver, thanks! However it still doesn't work. I edit manually the XF86Config-4 file and i restart the kde... Right, it seems to be working! The screen looks a little bit darker and instead of the traditional knoppix logo on the kernel i see a world one (is that the nvidia logo?) But... It just loads on 256 colors. I've got a lovely range of different resolutions from 640x480 to 1024x768, with tons of intermediate res. Ok, let's restart the system to make it work fully enhaced. Aaand here we have the problem: My X won't start!
Quote:
Ignoring pci display device 01:00.0 -> I saw this between the lines coming through...
[...]

Iniciando gestor de K display: kdm
No se está iniciando gestor gráfico X (xdm); no es el gestor por defecto.
Knoppix login:
The last two lines mean:
Starting K display manager: kdm
The graphics manager X (xdm) is not starting; It is not the default manager

Well, I think there is no point in these last line, as far as I use kdm. After writing this, the screen goes blank for a second, as if it were changing to graphical mode, however, it returns back to text-mode By this moment, I'm still using the freaking vesafb. I noticed it loads this module (vesafb) on the startup, whatever i write on the XF86Config-4
Quote:
Originally posted by utanja:
also....i have been using the nvidia installer without any problems with all of the driver since 5336 ...
Lucky, lucky you! Definitely that's not being my best starting on linux!

Last edited by timonoj; 05-11-05 at 05:28 AM.

Old 11-26-05, 12:32 PM   #9
elgordon

This is the most thorough explanation I've seen:

http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debia...-dri-howto.txt
elgordon is offline   Reply With Quote