Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-03, 12:36 AM   #1
vbp6us

Default X Crashes when my computer starts..

When i turn my computer on it runs fine all they way up to where i login. I installed the .rpm files correctly and then restarted my computer. After the Nvidia logo comes up the kde login comes up but it freezes at that screen. I cant CTRL+ALT+DEL or anything else. It locks up really hard.

I cant see the error it's giving either for some reason. Whats going on?

Im using SuSE 8.1 and my card is a nvidia TNT2 32mb. I downloaded the 4191.1586.rpm kernel and GLX file for SuSE 8.1.

X crashes and i cant login...please help.
vbp6us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 05:17 PM   #2
vbp6us

Anyone???????

ive searched all the other "x crashes" threads and stuff on google but nothing similar to mine. I cant even see the error. Oh well i reinstalled my SuSE and i guess im not going to use it for games.
Old 02-16-03, 06:06 PM   #3
bwkaz

If you boot to runlevel 3 and startx manually, does that help? Does changing display managers (to xdm or gdm rather than kdm) help?

I wish I knew what it was, but I don't...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-03, 04:08 PM   #4
vbp6us

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
If you boot to runlevel 3 and startx manually, does that help? Does changing display managers (to xdm or gdm rather than kdm) help?

I wish I knew what it was, but I don't...
The problem is i cant even change the display managers at the login screen. its a frozen. I just reinstalled the OS and this time im going to compile the drivers fromt he source.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-03, 06:46 PM   #5
bwkaz

OK, once you get that done, if you still see the same problems, try editing /etc/inittab. You'll have to boot to runlevel 3 once (by telling your bootloader to append a "3" to the kernel command line; in lilo, it's as simple as selecting the relevant entry, then typing a space and a 3, but grub is different) in order to do that, but once you've done that, open up inittab in an editor and change the initdefault line's "5" to a "3" instead. Also try changing the /path/to/kdm (that's down farther in the file) to /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm instead (or find the path to gdm if that's installed, and use it).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote