Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-05, 07:26 PM   #1
Xspringe

Default A8N-VM CSM Sata and NIC performance?

Hello everyone!

I am looking to utilize the ASUS A8N-VM CSM in a server environment. But I do not know anything about the performance of nvidia's linux drivers. Is anyone here currently successfully using the ASUS A8N-VM CSM in a linux environment? And have you had any chance to run NIC and SATA benchmarks? I'd love to know how they compare to running this board in a windows environment.

Thanks in advance!
Xspringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 04:10 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: A8N-VM CSM Sata and NIC performance?

The sata drivers are already in the kernel, you should not look for nvidia drivers to get the sata supported, same goes for the network drivers.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 06:15 AM   #3
Xspringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
The sata drivers are already in the kernel, you should not look for nvidia drivers to get the sata supported, same goes for the network drivers.
Thank you for your reply. Is there anything known about the performance of these drivers under linux? How does it compare to windows?
Xspringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 04:09 PM   #4
Lithorus

No idea, but there are other things to take into consideration aswell, such as the memory subsystem and caching, either way I would expect it to perform aswell as windows, if not better.

Found an interesting page :
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 01:17 AM   #5
lifeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspringe
I am looking to utilize the ASUS A8N-VM CSM in a server environment. But I do not know anything about the performance of nvidia's linux drivers. Is anyone here currently successfully using the ASUS A8N-VM CSM in a linux
I don't have much to say about performance, but see this thread for my experiences with the A8N-VM CSM:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60596

Summary: starts out with severe installation difficulties, gets better with a new kernel, still better with a BIOS update, but in the end, the integrated NIC isn't working (with the forcedeth drivers). I'm still waiting for a further BIOS update and/or a newer version of forcedeth.

I'd say that the VM CSM is not that good a choice for a server environment. It's quite clearly a desktop-oriented mobo, IMO. If you still buy it, make sure to update the BIOS before trying to install Linux.
lifeless is offline   Reply With Quote