Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-05, 09:58 AM   #1
bitter

Default 8174 and mythtv/ivtv

I say mythtv/ivtv as I don't know which is the problem. I upgraded to the newest driver (8174) and whenever I choose "Watch TV" it starts skipping. More precicely it freezes a split second every second or two. The card is a fx5200. I watched top and mythfrontend was eating all the cpu it could (i have a 2.2G).

Now switch back to the old drivers (7676) and its backto using 20-30% cpu. I have done no changes to the config between upgrading/going back.

This is the first time I have had problems with the drivers in years cheers to beers.
bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 11:39 AM   #2
misterflibble

Default Re: 8174 and mythtv/ivtv

I have the same issue when I upgraded my mythtv frontend to 8174. I'm not sure which version of mythtv you have but if it's R5A22 or R5A26, in the tv playback settings, disabling 'opengl vertical sync for timing' reduces my CPU usage to its regular levels (30% for regular XVideo output and 12% for XvMC). I don't notice any quality differences with it disabled. I suspect that fiddling around with nvidia-settings might also be fruitful, since I already have some 'sync to vblank' settings enabled for both OpenGL and XVideo (maybe they conflict if you use openGL for timing?), but I haven't gotten an opportunity to test this. Hope this helps.
misterflibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 10:24 PM   #3
florin

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflibble
in the tv playback settings, disabling 'opengl vertical sync for timing' reduces my CPU usage to its regular levels (30% for regular XVideo output and 12% for XvMC).
Same result here with mythtv-0.18.1 on a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra and AthlonXP 2600, but I have the feeling that the CPU usage was lower with the older driver. I could be wrong though.

Anyone knows what is the cause of this problem?

Note for bitter:
Can you include "high CPU load" or "poor performance" in the thread title, please? So that it's easier to spot by those with similar problems. Thanks!

http://florin.myip.org/
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 11:22 PM   #4
JoshPrismon

I am also using the newest driver, but have not had any problems with Skipping on a Dual Core Athlon. CPU utilization is pretty low as well.
JoshPrismon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 11:30 PM   #5
florin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshPrismon
I am also using the newest driver, but have not had any problems with Skipping on a Dual Core Athlon. CPU utilization is pretty low as well.
What is the status of "opengl vertical sync for timing" in the TV Playback settings in MythTV?

On my system it was enabled and it experienced high CPU load and stuttering with the new NVidia 8174 driver. I disabled that setting and now it's working fine.

http://florin.myip.org/
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 09:06 AM   #6
GreyFoxx

I've run into the same thing in regards to OpenGL Vsync chewing loads of CPU.
I reverted to 7676 and it is back to working normally and I can still use OGL VSync
for my timing method.

That's what I get for upgrading something that was already working.
GreyFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote