Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-05, 09:56 AM   #13
workonwomen

Default Re: VIVO - tv-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbelgo
I second that.
I third that(For a friend without Internet, but whit GT6600)!
workonwomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-05, 06:00 AM   #14
workonwomen

up
NVIDIA: I am watching you.
VIVO cards need their driver.
Old 12-01-05, 06:10 AM   #15
joffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by workonwomen
Nvidia!
GIVE US on LINUX TV input support!
Or give enough information to rivatv project!
Or, since they probably can't reveal the source due to some obscure third party restriction, the best thing they could do is to point out to us who these third parties are. That way they (nvidia) don't have to listen to our whining. And we don't have to talk to a wall.
Old 12-02-05, 02:15 AM   #16
workonwomen

Has anybody a better idea then whining?
Old 12-11-05, 02:31 AM   #17
Floydius

The interest in VIVO's input function is probably going to rise for nvidia users in the near future, mainly because many GeForce7 cards have VIVO capability for some reason.

I just started using VIVO on my windows drive myself because of this. (basically running in from a VCR for TV-Tuning capabilities, but I will probably also experiment with some encoding.) Searching forums I found the exact same situation, yes you can use rivaTV, but not with newer nvidia drivers (you can still use it with the open source "nv" driver, because that one doesn't block other drivers from accessing the GPU). A temporary solution would be to switch drivers when you need rivatv (easily done in xorg.conf) but this would require at least a restarting of X when you want to use TV-in. (correct me someone if it is not that simple, but from what I understand it should be).

Anyway, I believe it is Phillips who makes the chipset. Look at this forum thread with input from an EVGA engineer (given, this is about 4 years old):

http://www.evga.com/community/messag...archTerms=vivo

anyway I would love it if nvidia could support it. but also remember nvidia has been supporting linux by providing stable, working drivers for some time now, so don't be too hard on them. they are probably taking a loss to pay programmers for that. i'm sure if the demand grows they will at least look into it.
Floydius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 06:30 AM   #18
Thunderbird

The main issue with tvin was that to access the tvin chip an external i2c driver was needed to access the chip through the gpu. This i2c driver had to get access to the nvidia gpu but the nvidia drivers don't want other drivers to access their cards (for stability reasons).

It seems that in a upcoming driver version nvidia will open up the i2c bus through /proc for other drivers which will allow tvin to function properly. (Check http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...&forum_id=4201)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote