Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-05, 12:35 PM   #25
Lethe

Default Re: 1.0.8174 DPI computation incorrect

BTW, reading some of the logs here, I see this a lot:

Code:
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
You can turn this probe off within `Section "ServerFlags"' of xorg.conf with:

Code:
# Nick 18/10/2005 - stop the apm_bios probes
    Option         "NoPM" "true"
Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 04:05 AM   #26
BlankFrank

Hi Folks

I've been reading this thread with interest, however I have a dual monitor setup (twinview) with a Flatron 795FT Plus as secondary and Hitachi 17" TFT as primary both running at 1280x1024.

xdpyinfo | grep dimensions -A 2
dimensions: 2560x1024 pixels (325x243 millimeters)
resolution: 200x107 dots per inch
depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32

My DPI settings currently look pretty strange, not sure how to proceed with setting them correctly with a twinview setup however.

It seems it will have to be a happy medium as what has been said suggests that xorg can't have a different DPI for each panel. I guess 96x96 would do but setting

Option "DPI" "96x96"

seems to have no effect.

Any suggestions welcome.
BlankFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 11:41 AM   #27
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

BlankFrank,
Please post a bug report that captures this problem.

Also, please verify whether this problem exists with 1.0-7676 as well.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 04:04 AM   #28
pete4nv

Send a message via ICQ to pete4nv Send a message via AIM to pete4nv Send a message via Yahoo to pete4nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankFrank
Hi Folks
snip....
xdpyinfo | grep dimensions -A 2
dimensions: 2560x1024 pixels (325x243 millimeters)
resolution: 200x107 dots per inch
depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32

My DPI settings currently look pretty strange, not sure how to proceed with setting them correctly with a twinview setup however.

Option "DPI" "96x96"

seems to have no effect.
Remember that twinview makes a window out of both monitors combined. That's why your X is so high. Your impossible DPI is due to the same problem we've all seen here. Try disabling UseEdidDpi like many of us did first. Then, try putting Option DPI in EACH screen section or in the Device section. I think the KEY for you is

Option "UseEdidDPI" = "FALSE"

Do that and you should be up and running. Oh yes, as the NV fellow asked, did this occur in 7676? Post back.

Any suggestions welcome.
pete4nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 04:47 AM   #29
BlankFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4nv
Remember that twinview makes a window out of both monitors combined. That's why your X is so high. Your impossible DPI is due to the same problem we've all seen here. Try disabling UseEdidDpi like many of us did first. Then, try putting Option DPI in EACH screen section or in the Device section. I think the KEY for you is

Option "UseEdidDPI" = "FALSE"

Do that and you should be up and running. Oh yes, as the NV fellow asked, did this occur in 7676? Post back.

Any suggestions welcome.
Hi - thanks for the response.

I have put Option "UseEdidDPI" = "False" in as well as the DPI option but on reboot the res is still off.

It seems to be due to the fact that it's calculating from the framebuffer res of 2560x1024 (2 x 1280x1024 side by side) but only using the physical dimensions of the first monitor to make the calculation.

As for the previous drivers - I can't say for sure as I've just replaced an ATI card so this is the first set of drivers I've tried on this new install (Suse 10)

Sorry netllama - do you mean an on-line bug report on the Nvidia site or something else? (Linux newbie)

Thanks for the help!

Ian
BlankFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 09:41 AM   #30
pete4nv

Send a message via ICQ to pete4nv Send a message via AIM to pete4nv Send a message via Yahoo to pete4nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankFrank
Hi - thanks for the response.

I have put Option "UseEdidDPI" = "False" in as well as the DPI option but on reboot the res is still off.

It seems to be due to the fact that it's calculating from the framebuffer res of 2560x1024 (2 x 1280x1024 side by side) but only using the physical dimensions of the first monitor to make the calculation.

As for the previous drivers - I can't say for sure as I've just replaced an ATI card so this is the first set of drivers I've tried on this new install (Suse 10)

Sorry netllama - do you mean an on-line bug report on the Nvidia site or something else? (Linux newbie)

Thanks for the help!

Ian
Well, first be sure you have twinview configured correctly. There's a lot to do there, and it's not all well-documented. Mete-modes need to be set up. It's a bear. When I had two screens, I set them up as discreet monitors. This is especially useful when they run at different resolutions. Twinview is not so goot in those cases. If I may suggest, try changing one thing at a time, and see how each change works. You don't need to load a full blown window manager. Just do startx /usr/bin/twm or some such. Keep at it, and consider what I wrote about twinview. Good luck!
pete4nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 10:35 AM   #31
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

What I mean is to generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log. I'd also suggest looking at the NVIDIA driver README for more information on how to adjust the DPI.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote