Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-05, 01:06 AM   #13
joltcola
Amputechture - 9/12

Default Re: Looking to Linux, any suggestions?

There are tons of linux flavors out there, and multiple websites that review them. I would google for those, as it helped in the direction that I went. Many have live cd's out there for you to try, so you don't have to deal with a full install. Also, there is great support out there for having the option of Win or Linux at boot up with no problem. Which should give you all the options in the world. If something doesn't work right with linux, just hop over to WinXP and play what you want, untill you can get things squared away. Just make sure you know what you are trying to accomplish. Many people feel they need to make a switch over to linux, but not sure what they are trying to do.

My only suggestion, make sure you back up important files. No reason to get caught with your pants down. I also picked up a linux book at a local store to answer the more technical questions.

-- jolt
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.- Aristotle
"sorry... Nvnews distracted me" - Tuork
"You work three jobs? That's uniquely American," President Bush told her. "That's fantastic."
joltcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 01:19 AM   #14
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanM
I just jumped aboard the linux bandwagon aswell. With the recommendations here and from some friends I choose the ubuntu distro.

Liking it so far... but I have much to learn. Time to read up on the forums.
Im with http://linuxcult.com/forum

alias: xerverkillah

nice friendly place for help or gernal chat

http://linuxquestions.org is good too
Old 12-18-05, 09:57 PM   #15
a12ctic

as always i recommend ubuntu, its fast and prety bugless and easy for noobies... also its a .deb based distro with bleeding edge stuff... Been using debian (and debian based distros) sence 1999...