Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-05, 04:53 PM   #37
Imperito

Default Re: 8174 hangs my laptop on starting X

Also, I don't need to use NVreg_Mobile=1 when using 7676, and I get correct resolution/tvout all ok.
Imperito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 05:59 PM   #38
Dr. Tyrell

8174 is obviously buggy, for all previous drivers have allowed my clock to be detected, or at least all valid modelines to actually work. Toshiba 5105-S501

Now though, if my modelines are calculated with a dotclock greater than that 108MHz shown in my xorg logs, it does not accept them. So i'm limited. I suspect you guys are too.
g
Steps to get things working ...
1. "options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1" in modprobe.conf #MUST

2. in Xorg.conf...
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "1" #{and a good, calculated modeline or two}
Option "UseEdidDpi" "0" #{this is also turned off by option DPI}
Option "IgnoreEDID" "1" #{MUST}
Option "DPI" "116 x 116" #{or whatever yours is}
Option "AllowDDCCI" "0" #{maybe, doesn't have effect for ****

3. Turn off vesafb in lilo.conf, either by vga=normal, or just erase that line and run lilo

4. Get videogen and make a modeline for your max dotclock and X/Y .
{since 8174 is forcing me to 108MHz or less,
I used 'videogen -m=1400x1050 -mdc=108 -mhf=110 -mvf=60' and got
'Modeline "1400x1050_videogen108" 108.00 1400 1440 1488 1744 1050 1052 1055 1105 # 108 MHz, 61.9 kHz, 56.0 Hz'

...and yes, I am limited to that 56Hz Vrefresh.

The 108 max comes from the fact that all experiments with all settings varied prove that 8174 ALWAYS limits my dotclock to that number, your mileage may vary. Xorg's nv driver and previous Nvidia drivers do not.
Dr. Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 07:22 PM   #39
Imperito

tvout also doesn't work on mine with 8174, does your hardware support tvout? Does it work?

I think its pretty out there that the driver is blaming the hardware for not doing something that the previous driver did.
Old 12-16-05, 10:18 PM   #40
Dr. Tyrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperito
tvout also doesn't work on mine with 8174, does your hardware support tvout? Does it work?

I think its pretty out there that the driver is blaming the hardware for not doing something that the previous driver did.
Have never used tvout, but crt-out always worked before, haven't yet tried it yet with my projector.

I agree with you about blaming the hardware. In the other thread I was told that 108MHz is a hardware limitation....bull. My xorg 'nv' driver loads and the log shows that it finds 26 valid modes (all of which work) with dotclocks ranging from 25.2 to 157.5, and a "clock range" from 12 to 350...which i believe is fairly correct for the NV17m.

It's the weekend and I hope that next week will bring us a holiday treat from Nvidia
Old 12-17-05, 07:36 AM   #41
macemoneta

Imperito: setting NVreg_Mobile=1 does prevent the hang (see my previous posts and bug reports), but the zero pixel clock means that the video is unusable.

I'm sorry to hear that TV-out is not working; I use that quite a lot.

7676 works perfectly for me; until the bugs are worked out of 8174, I will stay with that. Hopefully it won't take too long for Nvidia to figure out what's wrong.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 07:46 AM   #42
Imperito

yeah, I'm sticking with 7676 for my laptop too. It'd certainly be nice to see some action from nvidia on this though.
Old 12-17-05, 08:37 AM   #43
Dr. Tyrell

Oh, come on now, these guys are on the ball, and i think there's only 2 of them working on the Linux driver, making it work on all hardware configs.

In a great thread the other night Netllama was responding to my replys within 15 minutes,and this happens quite often.

My only fear is that since Toshiba refuses to address these issues with a better vbios that Nvidia is being taxed to the limits of common patience. And since Netllama and Zander have to deal with Tosh, Dell, et. al. then we have to be more patient.

Also, notice they have posted a job opening, meaning they are commited to the linux community.

I give them high marks for continuing to actively support Linux -- an OS that, though much more powerful, stable, fast and efficient than windoze -- only has 2% of the desktop market.

The issue they need to deal with now...fix our max clock!!!
Old 12-17-05, 10:58 AM   #44
macemoneta

Dr. Tyrell - No one's complaining about Nvidia support for Linux.

The problem is that because they are proprietary in nature, there is no transparency to the development process. They could be working very hard, or ignoring the problem; there's just no way to tell. That makes the situation a little frustrating, especially for Linux users that are used to having that visibility.

Nvidia could decide that any hardware that doesn't work with the new driver is "legacy" and unsupported going forward. That would be a business decision, and aside from reverse-engineering the driver to patch it we would have no other options. We simply have no input, control, or visibility - so the best we can do is hope that they address the regressions that they have introduced.

No one can do more than make a SWAG (sily wild-ass guess) as to the number of Linux users; there are no hard statistics. Personally, most people I know have converted to Linux - but because they are using free versions, there's no accounting of that fact. Obviously, that's not the same everywhere, or this issue wouldn't keep coming up but, from my perspective, I'm surprised when I find someone still running Windows. It's like running into an OS/2 user or DOS user - you know they are out there, but why?
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-05, 02:52 PM   #45
Dr. Tyrell

The fact that llama and zander are posting so often tells me they're on the task, and I don't think they want to lose us as our input (free as it is) eases their job, hence the bug-report script.

Anyway, we're all in agreement, including the 1920x1200 thread that THE MAX DOTCLOCK IS THE PROBLEM.
Old 12-17-05, 03:12 PM   #46
Imperito

Well, to some extent.

I'm not sure to what degree my tvout problem is dot clock related.
Old 12-17-05, 04:11 PM   #47
Dr. Tyrell

Agreed.
But the first task is to properly read EDID's on the Toshibas and certain other laptops. Xorg's 'nv' driver does it properly, why can't Nvidia's?

The dotclock problem is a symptom of this, and a very big one. Heck, if the nvidia driver can't even set my internal lcd properly I really don't expect tv-out and crt-out to work properly.

NEWS: I've tried all combinations of kernel/KDE/nvidia settings and 8174 "glows" my screen whenever the lid switch is depressed-released. Used to happen when I plugged in a projector on crt-out with <7667 drivers. I think Toshiba needs to be contacted and convinced (knees broken, perhaps?) that this issue should be addressed by them as well.

I'm going to try my projector and report on a new thread.
Old 12-20-05, 06:39 AM   #48
Imperito

Is there a way to manually set dot clock in configs or anything, that anyone knows of?

Code:
[imperito@mobile:~]$ grep "maximum pixel clock" /var/log/Xorg.0.log // 7676
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: maximum pixel clock: 224 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(1): TV-0: maximum pixel clock: 650 MHz
[imperito@mobile:~]$ grep "maximum pixel clock" /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old // 8174
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: maximum pixel clock: 108 MHz
I just don't get it...

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(1): The requested configuration of display devices is not
(EE) NVIDIA(1):      supported in the hardware.
(EE) NVIDIA(1): Failed to unmap registers.
(EE) NVIDIA(1): Failed to unmap registers.
(EE) NVIDIA(1): Failed to free registers.
???