Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-26-05, 03:11 PM   #1
Davio

Default Get error "Kernel Panic: No Init found." after upgrading

I am getting the error Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. when I boot up my computer.

How I got there, goes something like this:
I am using Mandrake 10.1. I had the previous nvidia drivers 1.0-7676 installed back in August, so I was familiar with the installation. Downloaded 1.0-8178 drivers, set INIT to level 3 and then ran the .run file from the command line.

NVIDIA Installer compiled the drivers from source (I had installed the kernel source prior to this) and everything went ok. Then the last option it asked me was if I wanted the installer to modify the X configuration file so it will use the NVIDIA drivers. So I said Yes. Never had this option in the last install I did, so it was probably new in this version on the installer.

Back at the command line, I set INIT to level 5. Brought me back to the user login. I then clicked the restart button instead of logging in. And that's where the problem started. Not able to log back into Mandrake because of the Kernel Panic error.

I am able to reach the command line from the OS selection screen (have both windows and mandrake installed on 2 seperate drives), by pressing Esc. I think it's LILO I am using.

I figure my X configuration file is messed up.
Am using Mandrake 10.1.
Linux Kernel is 2.6.

Not sure how to access the nvidia log file or the installer log file from the command line to aid anyone to help me. So any assistance is welcomed.

Thanks.
Davio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 03:26 PM   #2
Davio

Default Re: Get error "Kernel Panic: No Init found." after upgrading

Reading up in the readme file about the 'nvidia-xconfig' utility. Seems I needed this utility or did it come with the installer?

I had made the changes to the X configuration file by hand on my last install of the drivers 1.0-7676. I didn't need to make any changes again, for this new isntall correct? So I should answered No to the last option.
Old 12-26-05, 07:14 PM   #3
whig
550Ti

You have two symtoms of two problems. It's hard to work out what is going on. The kernel panic is the first to tackle. Be sure to specify root=/dev/hdxx in /etc/lilo.conf (if you are sure the bootloader isn't grub) and then run lilo to update your bootloader. hdxx is the device name of your root partition.

Edit /etc/inittab to instruct it to boot to the console. The line in it might look like this.

id:3:initdefault:

Often the comments will tell you what number to use.

Try those things and see.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 07:33 PM   #4
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio
Reading up in the readme file about the 'nvidia-xconfig' utility. Seems I needed this utility or did it come with the installer?

I had made the changes to the X configuration file by hand on my last install of the drivers 1.0-7676. I didn't need to make any changes again, for this new isntall correct? So I should answered No to the last option.
No.

The "No init found" has nothing directly to do with loading the X window system. That is a problem related to the kernel not being able to find init(or perhaps a related item). It is most often caused, when using LiLo, because LiLo was not updated after some change was made affecting the kernel.
I had MDK 10.1 but that was upgraded to 2005LE last year. MDK 2006 has been out for a few months... although I do not use it yet. I have not had such trouble with nVidia upgrades in the past. ( I have being using them since circa 1999. )

Anyway, I suppose it is possible that the new nVidia drivers install program modify the kernel files in such a way that LiLo gets upset -it is a finicky-little-SOB-...
Resolution in that case is to run lilo at the command prompt so it can find the correct kernel files and pass that info to the kernel during boot.
IIRC, you can do that from the rescue mode that is available by inserting & booting from the CD and typing rescue at the prompt it presents.

To avoid that kind of problem in the future, use GrUB. Also install GrUB on the /boot partition and not the MBR if you can(i.e., if you have /boot as a separate partition).
In fact, you can probably use the "rescue" mode on the CD to install GrUB as the bootloader. I was told that is possible but have never tried it so it might or might not be true.

HTH
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 11:38 PM   #5
Davio

You know what? You guys got me thinking. Prior to running the nvidia installer I had accidently installed another version of the kernel from the mandrake console. I have kernel version 2.6.xx.12 and accidentally installed kernel version 2.6.xx.26 I think. It was a small update that mandrake released for the kernel. The versions were very similar except for the last number.

I mistakenly installed the .26 kernel on top of the .12 kernel, realised my mistake and uninstalled it, then reinstalled the .12 kernel source. Then ran the nvidia installer.

I forgot about that. So you're most likely right. That screwed it up and not the nvidia installer. You live and you learn.

I'll get it sorted out and when I do, I'll let you guys know if I have any other problems with the drivers.

Thanks much for the help.