Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-24-05, 06:28 PM   #1
BorisKurktchie

Send a message via AIM to BorisKurktchie Send a message via Yahoo to BorisKurktchie
Default Problems with 6200, Monitor Power Management, and EDID frequencies

Ok i have a Dell UltraSharp 1900FP connected to a BFG 6200 256MB OC card on the DVI port.
In this setup if I start an OpenGL application/game I start getting random lines that cross my screen (they seem like they are distortions) and then after about 2minutes of game play my monitor will start going in and out of powersave mode. This is definely something to do with nvidia on linux because the same monitor on the same card with windows does not have those signs. Everything works as it should. So I have relatively managed to narrow it down to a few things that might be causing the problem: Power Mangement (ACPI), DPMS, EDID frequencies. I have tried disableing all but the problem still persists. I am able to get rid of the random distortions if i switch to the VGA port on the card but the monitor shutting itself off and comming back on still persists.
I have been googling for a while and I found that it might have been a firmware bug in the monitors EDID frequency reporting mechanisms so I found the official fix from dell and applied it on both the VGA and DVI ports. That did not seem to help.
I really hope someone can help me out here because it is really frustrating to have to keep a crappy 20gb hdd in my nice Slackware box just for 2 games that I play.

Here is the system configuration:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
BFG Geforce 6200 256MB OC
Kernel 2.6.14.2
Latest Nvidia drivers (-*78 i believe)
Running on Zenwalk 2.0.1 (essentially Slackware 10.2)
The board is a Soltek KT800 Pro running on the Via K8T800 Pro chipsets
Here is the output of lsmod:
Module Size Used by
snd_seq_dummy 3844 0
snd_seq_oss 35840 0
snd_seq_midi_event 7424 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 55056 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss 54944 0
snd_mixer_oss 19968 4 snd_pcm_oss
amd64_agp 12744 1
nvidia 4088592 12
agpgart 36040 2 amd64_agp,nvidia
snd_via82xx 27552 3
snd_ac97_codec 94216 1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm 92552 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer 26628 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_ac97_bus 2432 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_page_alloc 11016 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 8064 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 26272 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 8844 4 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd 55524 11 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu40 1_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore 10592 4 snd

Also /proc/driver/nvidia/status:
Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled
BorisKurktchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 06:36 PM   #2
BorisKurktchie

Send a message via AIM to BorisKurktchie Send a message via Yahoo to BorisKurktchie
Default Re: Problems with 6200, Monitor Power Management, and EDID frequencies

Whoops sorry forgot to attach the nvidia-bug report here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (86.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 12-24-05, 07:28 PM   #3
BorisKurktchie

Ok just tried one more thing. Switching to different Dell monitors (this one is a Dell 1703FP) still the same problem, so this is definely something in the nvidia/kernel drivers/code that is mucking it up. An interesting thing is that the same behaviour is displayed on a Ti 4600 but instead of the monitor going off for a second it would just lock up for a second or two...
Old 12-25-05, 08:34 AM   #4
BorisKurktchie

OK this is definetly something to do with the driver and opengl. The behaviour occurs even when I run any opengl game in Window mode. Ihad UT2004 running in a 1024x768 and 2 minutes into the game the screen went into powersave for 2 secs and then came back.... I cannot seem to be able to determine if there is some kind of condition that triggers this power "cycle". Also, note that this using the VGA port, the DVI port has the same power "cycle" issue along with the "scan-lines" that run through the screen randomly...
Old 12-25-05, 05:49 PM   #5
BorisKurktchie

Ok... some more advances... man I feel like I should have something better to do on Christmas... (this is in no way shape or form bashing towards anyone here).
So the problem is somewhat fixed:
Solution: Enable VSync for all of your games (I have an issue with nvidia-settings not starting for me right now... it just seg faults)
I had to go into all the games I play (all 2 of them... ) and manually tell them to VSync.
At this point I think the VSync keeps the monitor "active" so it no longer goes to "power save" mode randomly but instead the Screen/OpenGL app would just stop for a few seconds e.g: I would be walking down Anubis and all of a sudden my guy just stops in mid walk, at this point I cannot do anything for about 1 to 4 seconds and then the gameplay goes back to normal and all of my actions during the "lock" period end up catching up with me.
At least though I do not have the monitor tunr black on me anymore which is a bit more tolerable.

I will try to figure out why nvidia-settings is seg faulting and try to use that to set VSync to enabled for everything and try it that way instead of the ingame way and see if that makes a difference.

BTW All of this is done on the VGA port. I have not tried switching to the DVI one to see if there is any difference.
Old 12-27-05, 09:53 AM   #6
BorisKurktchie

OK to continue with the saga.... now I found out that if I even have a Video in fullscreen the same screen blanking problem happents.... I am starting to not have a clue again as to what is going on.... anyone please shed some light