Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-25-05, 03:59 PM   #1
Oxygen

Default Problem with nVidia 3D Accelerated Driver (all versions)

Hey all - I appreciate the click on my thread, and I hope someone can help me.

I have a Geforce 4 Ti4200 which works fine with the default nv driver. Paired up to that is a 17" LCD which supports a resolution of 1280x1024. Two days ago, I put on SuSE 10, and I am very happy with it. It is much faster than Windows, so I would like for it to eventually replace Windows. However, this nVidia driver issue is a major stumbling block.

Here is what happened: I installed the nVidia driver update (version 7676) from YOU (an online updater in SuSE), restarted, and when the bootup process went to load kdm, the screen went black and every so often an image that looks like clouds comes up and disappears. Then, the monitor goes black again, and the display's OSD comes up and tells me the refresh rate is not supported (31.5 kHz Vertical). If I try to kill X, the OSD comes up and tells me that 57.5 kHz vertical is not supported. However, I have a feeling that refresh rates should not be an issue since the sax defined refresh rates work fine, and I believe YOU handles that.

Anyway, I tried downloading the latest driver (8178) from nVidia's site. I have gcc, the kernel sources, and everything, and I am not afraid of recompiling the kernel (I needed to do some kernel stuff with the pwc sources). I installed it, and it said it installed okay. modprobe nvidia was fine. Then I ran sax2 -m 0=nvidia (sax2 is a program that detects hardware and helps to write xorg.conf). Same problem. So now I am out of options. I cannot really check any logs since the computer crashes hard (does not respond to input, remote login is a no go)

I want to say it has something to do with a framebuffer enabled in the kernel options, but I do not know for sure. Perhaps I need to only put in the refresh rate that is running on this monitor now (which is 60.2 vertical and 64 horizontal). I would appreciate some advice on this since it has me stumped. I would also like to get my connected TV to work with TwinView, but one thing at a time .

Also, when the screen goes black, I have to restart the computer, so the xorg logs are useless (I checked them on the next boot in runlevel 3), and it does not seem that the crash shows up since it talks a lot about nv and not nvidia. I do not want to post the xorg conf because I am sure it will be many many pages, but I would be glad to post pieces of it.

I am running SuSE 10 with kernel 2.6.13-15-default.

Thanks
-- Oxygen
Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 06:04 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Problem with nVidia 3D Accelerated Driver (all versions)

I don't know much about Suse but 31kHz isn't a vertical refresh rate - it is a horizontal one. Your refresh range might be in the range 60-80Hz. That would explain why it says out of range.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 06:18 PM   #3
Oxygen

Thanks for the reply - it was really weird - when I killed the X server, the monitor reported a horizontal frequency of 23.5 kHz and a vertical of 31.5. I realize those numbers are way off, and I have no idea why the video card is sending that kind of signal. That is why I think it is a problem deeper than the drivers.

-- Oxygen
Old 12-25-05, 09:30 PM   #4
whig
550Ti

Post nvidia-bug-report.sh (as a text attachment).
Old 12-26-05, 11:38 AM   #5
Oxygen

Thanks for taking the time to help - the file is attached - nothing looks strange in the xorg log, so I have a feeling this is a problem with the SuSE kernel. If worse comes to worse, I will have to put another distro on, but I really do not want to...

I removed some parts of the report that were unnecessary since the log was almost 150KB

Thanks again
-- Oxygen
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (98.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-26-05, 06:44 PM   #6
whig
550Ti

Did you have a TV connected when you ran the report? That would hide status messages. I suggest you connect only a CRT and comment out the numerous modelines.
Old 12-26-05, 09:26 PM   #7
Oxygen

Yeah I did - I will try disconnecting it and seeing what happens - should I comment out all of the ModeLines or just a few or wha? I do want to be able to use my TV eventually though.

Thanks again
-- Oxygen
Old 12-26-05, 10:22 PM   #8
whig
550Ti

Getting down to it is this section
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor[0]"
    VendorName     "VSC"
    ModelName      "LCD17nx"
    UseModes       "Modes[0]"
    DisplaySize     340    270
    HorizSync       60.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 85.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection
which I would let X determine usable values for the monitor with just
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor[0]"
EndSection
Add the right Horiz & Vert if need be, and please keep monitor and TV sections seperate.

Old 12-26-05, 10:28 PM   #9
Oxygen

Okay thanks I will try that and post back

Thanks again
-- Oxygen
Old 12-27-05, 04:20 PM   #10
Oxygen

Disconnected the TV, redid xorg.conf, and it works - amazing. Thanks a lot. I will try to get the TV working as well.

Thanks again
-- Oxygen