Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-05, 06:40 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: After Yum update X no longer works

I don't know if your display is going bad, all I can tell is that the EDID that is being provided has very bizarre numbers in it that aren't reliable.

Per the NVIDIA driver README, you add the following entry to the Device section of your xorg.conf:
Option "IgnoreEDID"

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 12:16 AM   #14
tcomputerchip

I would like to add that the README used to be a text version. Very easy to find, but some less experienced users dont know to locate the README for the NVIDEA drivers. I know that I prefer reading a Text version than the HTML version that they provide on the website.
tcomputerchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 12:30 AM   #15
tcomputerchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiko
Lonni,
I am using a Viewsonic PF790 19" Flat Screen Monitor. How would I go about setting the ignoreEDID X option and where? Does this mean my Monitor is going bad or the video card is bad?
Mahalo,
Edward
I too have the PF790 19" Flat Screen Monitor; adding this: Option "IgnoreEDID"
to the xorg.conf file works for this monitor. I do not believe either of the two are bad. This looks like a software issue for the drivers. As when I added this option everything worked fine.

NOTE TO NVIDIA:
I have used the NVIDIA drivers in the past and they work wonders. I was on FC3 with the latest NVIDIA drivers and things worked fine. I then wiped the system and installed FC4 (yearly clean up / upgrade , had nothing to do with drivers)

When I installed the NVIDIA display drivers on this machine I recieved the attached log output. After little research I found a FIX, I would suggest maybe to have a small script that checks for monitors that may need this option: Option "IgnoreEDID"
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (25.7 KB, 118 views)
tcomputerchip is offline   Reply With Quote