Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-03, 11:30 AM   #1
mattit
Riva TNT

Default Diamond Viper 550(Riva TNT) & Xvideo problems

After I installed Nvidia drivers on my machine, I could watch videos with Mplayer full screen. But after I quit the X session I started to have problems. A green negative image of a video came up on the screen, and I couldn't get it off. At some part the whole system froze. Is there a way to get Xvideo work properly with my hardware? Nvidia driver version = 4191, Display adapter = Diamond Viper 550, gcc version = 3.2.2, OS = RH 7.3

Does my rather old ICL VE14C monitor have any part of this?
mattit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 12:53 AM   #2
GregGG

I just installed RedHat 8 and am having the exact same problem. My card is a Diamond Viper 770 Ultra (TNT2) with an Asus P3BF motherboard and a Gateway EV700 monitor. I always start up in text mode, because I use it more than I do the GUI Desktops, then go into KDE from there. Everything works great going in. But as soon as I log out of the GUI (any of them), I get the multi-colored screens. Rather pretty colors though. Occassionally it will send me back to a bash prompt, but usually I get the messed up display. It will either be muli-colored, or just plain black. I noticed in a thread above that disabling ACPI might fix this, but this old BX board doesn't even support that, so.

It's a shame cause I really like the new GUI desktops and RedHat 8 seems faster as a whole, but I can't stand this. Strangely, I never had a single issue with this system running RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.0. I'm thinking this is a video driver related problem and was wandering if there is anyway I can go back to the old drivers that were in RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.0? Thanks

Edit: BTW, I can go back into the desktop by typing "startx" even though I can't actually see the bash prompt after logging out. So I know it's there and the PC isn't hung or anything, the video is just messed up.

Last edited by GregGG; 02-24-03 at 01:05 AM.
GregGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 08:56 AM   #3
bwkaz

Have either of you tried the 3123 drivers? You'll probably have to compile the NVIDIA_kernel from source, but that version may work.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 09:52 AM   #4
mattit
Riva TNT

I tried the 3123 drivers but then experienced an another problem. It messed up my display when I changed the virtual desktop with Ctrl + Alt + Fx. My linux kernel is compiled from 2.4.19 source and I install the drivers from tarballs.
mattit is offline   Reply With Quote