Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-05, 12:21 PM   #1
deque

Question 1.0-8178 Segfaults on any GLX application

I am running:
-Amd X2 4400
-MSI K8NGM2 (6150/430 based)
-1GB Crucial DDR-400
-Ubuntu Linux (tried in Breezy and Dapper)

I can get the 8178 drivers "working" with a variety of kernels, from the stock breezy to a custom built 2.6.14. But once I try to launch any program that accesses GLX, that program segfaults. Even glxinfo. Any ideas? I haven't found anything terribly useful on anything anywhere... nvidia bug report log attached (zipped to get under forum size req's)...

EDIT* - Digging through the provided readme and found some stuff that looks relevant. Going to try that now, I'll post results...
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (25.5 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by deque; 12-31-05 at 01:03 PM.
deque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 03:41 PM   #2
deque

Default Re: 1.0-8178 Segfaults on any GLX application

Ok, I've come up with a "solution" to this problem:

-boot the machine (X fails to load because the driver is broken)
-make sure X / GDM is killed
-run the 8178 installer _again_
-modprobe nvidia
-restart gdm / X
-glx stuff now works

If I reboot, the nvidia driver still works (at least for one reboot) but the GLX stuff starts segfaulting again. Just to be clear, _glx only works during the session within which the driver installer was run, gl applications fail on successive reboots_.

*Edit* - I have now experienced lots of crashiness as well, outside of GL applications with the nvidia driver loaded. If I rmmod it and use the vesa driver, the system is solid...

If I change (increase or decrease, it doesn't matter) the amount of RAM allocated to the video sub-system in the BIOS, the driver breaks and I have to go through the process again.

I've quadruple-checked the libraries and symlinks, everything looks like it is in order. IE- it matches the information in Appendix C in the NVIDIA readme, and an ldd trace on glxgears looks good.

Seems like somebody needs to fix their ****.... My guess is that it is a BIOS issue, seeing as how the BIOS splash for the video ROM says very clearly "Engineering sample, not for production use!" (Or something similar).

Last edited by deque; 12-31-05 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-01-06, 02:55 PM   #3
deque

Default Re: 1.0-8178 Segfaults on any GLX application

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu Dapper Flight 2 (really nice boot splash guys!) and I seem to have gotten things working with the 8174 drivers (in the distro repositories, no "by-hand" stuff) and the 2.6.15 kernel by adding "noapic" and "irqpoll" to the boot options. Not sure if they're both neccesary or not yet.

However, this is a UP kernel, so I'm only using one core at the moment, but it works at least. Before I added the boot options I would get random USB hangs, networking problems, and the sound would hiccup and nearly hang the machine...

Hopefully this thread might give some clues to someone else trying to get the MSI K8NGM2 going... Thanks to everyone else who posted their experiences in other threads that gave me clues...

*Edit* - got it going with an SMP kernel, but I still get crashes with high network loads using forcedeth, latest nvnet seems to work better, but I haven't tested it much...

Last edited by deque; 01-01-06 at 07:23 PM.