Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-05, 08:00 PM   #1
BorisKurktchie

Send a message via AIM to BorisKurktchie Send a message via Yahoo to BorisKurktchie
Default AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support

Does the nvidia.ko support this? The kernel module has support for my board which is Via k8t800 pro but since I cannot figure out if it supports the on-CPU gart support I cannot get rid of the inkernel agpgart. Anyone have a clue?
BorisKurktchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 10:16 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support

The cpu-gart is the best performance option. First, see that your distribution has kernel support:
Code:
~ $ dmesg | grep -i gart
agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xd0000000
Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
Then the nvidia readme has instructions to modify xorg.conf (note NvAGP).
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 01:45 AM   #3
BorisKurktchie

Send a message via AIM to BorisKurktchie Send a message via Yahoo to BorisKurktchie

well i have it enabled and the via but I am having issues with my screen going blank for random times during game play... so i though maybe that was the problem.
Old 12-31-05, 03:19 AM   #4
whig
550Ti

Which version of nvidia drivers are you using? You could try one from a different series (6xxx/7xxx/8xxx).

Keep a watch on your temperatures. Over 70c on nvidia cards is getting very warm. You also want a good power supply. Check the voltages on your rails (in bios).
Old 01-01-06, 04:24 PM   #5
BorisKurktchie

well sicne i have a 6200 i am stuck using the 7 and 8 but the problem is there wieth either series. The constant system temperature is around 30c to about 35c (I have two 120mm fans blowing constantly plus a zalman fin CPU fan). The card has not been tampreed with (e.g. not OCed by me) I have tried boosting the AGP voltage and the CPU voltage up by .5 but that did not seem to do much either.
Old 01-01-06, 06:39 PM   #6
whig
550Ti

Does the problem happen using the "nv" or "vesa" X driver during continuous cpu load? Of course you won't be able to test opengl with those drivers. Once it was said that kernel gart is stuck in linux amd64 kernels. The only way around it is to go x86. If you don't feel like doing a x86 install try a live cd with support for the nvidia driver. Also check your ram with memtest86.
Old 01-01-06, 10:40 PM   #7
BorisKurktchie

well I am running in x86 only enviornmetn since the x86_64 distros are not stable enough for my liking. let me check and see if I can use the nv driver and see if the screen blanks out on full screen movies with that one. Memtest didn't report anything.
Old 01-01-06, 10:48 PM   #8
BorisKurktchie

ok just tried vesa (nv wouldn't load.. i assume it doesn't have support for my 6200...) and there is no screen blanking while playing full screen videos like there is with nvidia, of course i couldn't test OpenGL.