Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-06, 10:45 AM   #25
JaXXoN

Default Re: Driver for Nforce4 in linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhj52
I had considered doing what you suggested earlier ( with (2) RAID 10 volumes using 8 drives ) but the problem is communication between datasets.
What are you using as backup media? Maybe you could do the
data sharing that way? i.e. i'm using an external USB/SATA
drive for backup (RAID doesn't excuse you from doing backups).
However, true, it's not the nicest solution ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhj52
I use UPS and always will (as I think every serious computer user should)
I was considering purchasing a UPS for my workstation, but the power
grid is pretty stable in my small country - here, only a server deserves
a UPS! :-)

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 03:17 AM   #26
fhj52

Default Re: Driver for Nforce4 in linux?

Hey Bernhard,
[OT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
What are you using as backup media?
um, luck... ?
I have a tape drive but it is not in use currently; old & small too. Only planned/good for critical backups.
I use multiple drives and cross save data/info I don't want to lose easily. Playing the numbers game, ya know.
Quote:
Maybe you could do the data sharing that way?
Too slow.
Quote:
i.e. i'm using an external USB/SATA drive for backup (RAID doesn't excuse you from doing backups).
However, true, it's not the nicest solution ...
Good enough, I hope, as I do similar. Also, think once I get the rest of things online, will do backups to a server disk array and use the tape drive on it for partitions that need extra care. I have to check it's usability against using CD-RW or DVD+RW. The latter might be faster.(and cheaper too).
I agree that RAID is only part of the solution but it sure does help when a drive dies. I have done backup and restore using tape. It is not fun. The really expensive ones are, of course, easier and are, of course, not in the budget at this time.
RAID 5 is a numbers game as are all RAID. Probabilities of multiple drives going out at the same time are pretty low. Certainly low enough that all but the most critcal stuff does not have to be on tape/disk.

Quote:
I was considering purchasing a UPS for my workstation, but the power grid is pretty stable in my small country - here, only a server deserves a UPS! :-)

regards

Bernhard
Lucky you. I have never lived in any location with as bad power service as what I have now. It does not matter what the weather is, power can just go out. It quit here the day before Christmas for, apparently, no reason at all.
I have lived in cites, towns and country(where closest neighbor is a mile away). This place beats 'em all.

I have to have UPS. I could not compute without it.

Computers and peripherals are better than they used to be but they still do not like it when the plug gets pulled.
[/OT]

On a bit more relevant subject to this thread, have you ever heard of somebody having trouble with the nVidia Audio drivers that come with the nForce4 Platform?
I mean "trouble" as in the drivers somehow causing auto-reboot of the system when the mixer is used or something similar.

c-ya

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote