Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-04, 12:11 PM   #1
dsorrent

Default Dell 8100 Laptop + Linux = FN F7?

Hey all,
I've been looking around for a solution to the "black border" problem I'm having since I have a 1600x1200 laptop display but want to run at a lower resolution. The general concensus is to hit FN F7 (Font) to change the screen to meet the resolution, however, I noticed this has side effects. For instance, if I look at a website which has a photo image while I have the black borders then I hit FN-F7, it gets rid of the black borders but now the picture looks shaded in the transition parts of it. It doesn't look crisp at all. It actually looks awful.

Is there another solution I am missing to fix this so I get quality pictures at a lower resolution without the black borders? I can't imagine there is no way to fix this since I can boot into Windows and in any resolution from 1024x768 up the same picture looks exactly the same in each resolution.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
dsorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 08:16 AM   #2
RichGags

Default Re: Dell 8100 Laptop + Linux = FN F7?

Im very new to Linux so I will be no help to you at all, but Im having the exact same problem and Im looking in the forums for a solution. Im finding its because your screen size cannot be set to anything higher than 1024x768 in the "Screen size and rotate" manager.

Ive read that you need to install the nvidia driver for your video card. Ive download the driver, but I havent been able to get it installed.

First you have to disable X. Which I managed to do. Then you need to be able to run the install. I did but it said something about the driver didnt match my kernel. Im running the latest version of auditor.

I dont know how to run the nvidia-config program which I found on thier site. Can someone help us out?

I really like linux, but Im finding its challenging....not plug and play like Bill's OS. But Im not giving up yet.

Thanks,
Rich
RichGags is offline   Reply With Quote