Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-06, 11:09 PM   #1
mleh

Default nvidia on fedora problems

Hi,

I recently installed a new geforce 5500 card on my linux (athlon xp) comp. Everything is working fine with gnome, X, etc. The main problem is that rendering of 3d scenes is not correct. I have installed the nvidia driver downloaded from their site. Code which runs fine on other computers is garbled and incorrect on this machine. For instance, objects which should appear in the background are rendered in the foreground, i.e. it always draws the last object displayed on top of all the other objects, regardless of their proper position.

I have included the bug report log as requested. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (75.2 KB, 112 views)
mleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 11:31 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia on fedora problems

Which software is this that isn't rendering properly?

Also, what kind of videocard is in the other computers where this problem doesn't exist?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 11:46 PM   #3
mleh

the code is simple drawing of orbiting spheres in three dimensions. It runs fine on my ibm thinkpad and on the dell machines at school. Another thing which is interesting is that the redhat linux machines(with nvidia cards) at school misrender the same code. I have attached the code if you want to take a look at it(planet.c). I had to rename it to a .txt file due to restrictions by this forum. It is a c program written using glut/opengl. Anyways I have had other problems with simple opengl programs from tutorials on the internet.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt planet.txt (5.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-23-06, 11:54 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

What is the correct behavior for planet? I see a blue and an orange sphere rotating about an axis. Should the smaller sphere always be assumed to be in the distance, with the larger in the foreground?

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 12:02 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

The spheres do look a bit funky on my machine because they're drawn in a pretty random order. Did you forget to add "|GLUT_DEPTH" to the bitmask passed in to glutInitDisplayMode? It looks fine to me if I add that.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 12:08 AM   #6
mleh

yeah that's right... I just needed to add GLUT_DEPTH to my Display Mode. The class just got started so I guess I have some studying to do. Thanks for the tip. It's funny the first thing I do is blame the computer.

Thanks Again