Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-03, 01:22 AM   #1
gadido

Red face install problems: mandrake 9 and new rpm, ho hum

I have to install the nvidia drivers again. Now there is a single file to download. Well I have an Athlon cpu and this is kernel 2.4.19-16-mdk and so thinks my linux box therefore I download the rpm for AMD and kernel 2.4.19-16mdk (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.mdk90up_2.4.19_16.athlon.rpm) which would be the correct rpm right? So I am wondering why rpm complains that this package is not for this architecture!****?! ( Please don't suggest that I use the tar. I have done that before. I know, it works, Now I want to use the rpm. okay? ) Has anyone else had a problem with this?

The mandrake installs,(the hardware recognition is generally really excellent, though obviously it didn't come thru for me today) have gotten to be supremely flaky for the last three distros and I believe that is behind the error messages I am looking at now.
gadido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 03:59 AM   #2
gadido

I'll answer this myself. You went clickity click to the page for drivers for another video card you twit. So be sure that the page you have come to is for the driver of the card that you have. Now download the appropriate driver.....
I get annoyed every time I do an install on a system which has an Nvidia card. It is definitely a hassle. I always have to figure out what they mean by Linux IA32 or IA64 or AMD64? And what exactly do they mean by 386i or 686i,... Not many people are using 386i type machines but the driver you need is more than likely going to have this suffix and not 686i though I am certain that what you have what is normally refered to as a 686i whether it is Intel, AMD, or VIA. And why do I always have to do this anyway?...
It is so easy to know what you need but end up on the wrong page, see your distro listed and what appears to be your cpu. Then the driver doesn't work and you scratch your head for an hour wondering what the hell....
I'd write Nvidia but why bother? There is this forum and there is a real need for this forum. Thank you, to all who keep it going. I'm sure I'll be coming back here to post in the not too distant future when I run into another nvidia card that gives me a problem....
Please people in the meantime make life easier on yourself and others: go buy an ATI video card.
gadido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 08:41 AM   #3
bwkaz

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why NVchooser needs to be posted on the first driver page.

BTW: Running NVchooser (the one on the IA32 page) would have told you whether you needed the i386 or i686 RPM.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote