Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-03, 02:40 PM   #1
izzy

Unhappy SuSE 8.1 and GForce4: problems with "text"

Hello everybody,

I just got my new computer the day before, and installed SuSE 8.1 on it, using the shipped drivers for the GForce4 I have plugged into my machine. Resolution is 1280x1024 on my 19" MBO monitor. So far, fine (could not get to that resolution in Win2000 without having a strange cushion effect; best to work was 1024x768 here).

But now to the problem: when I'm in a text console, all text gets screwed up from time to time (mostly when I walk over my input with the cursor keys), same in some input windows under X (such as my mail editor) - strangely not within this forum mail editor or other HTML form fields. SuSE support told me to switch off the frame buffers and slow down from AGPx8 to AGPx4 - but both had no effect. It's very annoying, most annoying when I try to browse some files (or man pages).

1) Has anybody ever had/heared of this before?
2) Does anybody know where this problem comes from?
3) Has anybody a solution for this?
3a) May an upgrade to the original nVidia (3D) drivers solve it?

Any help appreciated!

Greetz,
Izzy.
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 06:05 AM   #2
izzy

Smile Problem solved

Hi,

I finally solved this problem. It seems that the SuSE dummy "nv" driver has Problems with the "GeForce4 TI 4200" chipset, so the solution was to install the original nVidia drivers instead. Even SuSE support did suggest to not do that via YOU but to manually install the RPMs. After having success with that, and to remember it for future installations, I wrote a small "HowTo" which I attached to this message. So if anybody runs into similiar problems, it may be helpful

Regards,
Izzy
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia.txt (2.7 KB, 201 views)
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote