Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-06, 08:19 AM   #1
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Default More PS3 "rumored" details

http://ps3.qj.net/M%20ore-PS3-Detail.../pg/49/aid/911

Well, all I can say is take that as you like.

While I would love for everything there to be true, I have my doubts aswell.
Although sooner or later, things like that wont be hard to accomplish...

One quote from the responses there:
"DVR, Blue-Ray, PS3 games, if they price it at 500 bucks its still a bargain."

Lol.
H3avyM3tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 10:13 AM   #2
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Default Re: More PS3 "rumored" details

I think it's a mix of wishful thinking and hype:

Quote:
The Blu-ray Player functionality doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of a lot of the stuff the PS3 will need to do to be able to read the disks
You can purchase an mpeg2/4 decoder chip at a fraction of the price of a complex LSI chip like Cell (and presumably) RSX. It's certainly not the decoder chip that makes Bluray players expensive. That phrase alone denotes that whoever wrote that piece does not have a clear picture and was probably heavily influenced by the carefully constructed hype surrounding PS3
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 11:48 AM   #3
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

So we are to believe the rants of a forum member called "Jak_the_man"??? As msxyz stated I think that entire article is wishful thinking. QJ.net must really be desperate for PS3 news.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 02:02 PM   #4
slick
Play with conviction.

I still don't see how Sony can claim they will have a more comprehensive online service when they've only just recently even began to think about doing it. Thus far they've completely dismissed it as important, and now they are going to 1 up Live a few months from launch? I think not. The rest seems feasible for the most part though.
Old 02-06-06, 02:28 PM   #5
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

I quoted that one because I found it funny, thats it... :/

And I think that it was stated somewhere here, that "romur" say that sony started working on their network aince the days of the net adapter for the ps2.

Believe what you want, as long as I get my favorite games on the PS3, I don't mind anything.
H3avyM3tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 03:17 PM   #6
evilchris

It better have a BIG HDD if it is to be a useful DVR. My HDDVR from Cox Cable has a 300GB drive and I fill it up all the time.
Old 02-06-06, 03:19 PM   #7
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

I doubt it will be a DVR, I could see it being a location free player or a base for one though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
So we are to believe the rants of a forum member called "Jak_the_man"??? As msxyz stated I think that entire article is wishful thinking. QJ.net must really be desperate for PS3 news.
"Jak_the_man" is just posting a summary from the PSM article (look at the scans), and QJ.net is just reporting it. Dont shoot the messengers. If you feel like blaming someone, blame PSM?
Old 02-06-06, 04:50 PM   #8
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
I think it's a mix of wishful thinking and hype:

You can purchase an mpeg2/4 decoder chip at a fraction of the price of a complex LSI chip like Cell (and presumably) RSX. It's certainly not the decoder chip that makes Bluray players expensive. That phrase alone denotes that whoever wrote that piece does not have a clear picture and was probably heavily influenced by the carefully constructed hype surrounding PS3
Won't Blu-Ray be decoding H.264 not just MPEG-2? In that case its very feasible that its the processing requirements of HD video that will drive the cost of machines up.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-06, 04:01 AM   #9
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

H264 IS Mpeg4, just a different flavor of it (ISO/IEC 14496-10 or MPEG4 part 10)

H264 takes considerably more computing power than mpeg-2 but these codecs are usually engineered to allow easy and cheap hard-wired implementations. When the first MPEG-2 decoder-on-a-chip arrived back in '94, a Pentium 90MHz was the most powerful (and expensive) PC microprocessor available and yet it was incapable of decoding an mpeg-2 stream at broadcast/DVD quality (A Pentium II 266MHz with MMX is generally considered to be the minimum requirement for a software mpeg-2 decoder without hardware assist)

First samples of H264 capable chips aimed at the consumer market were sold the last year at about $20 but the price for these things takes a step dive once production and demand ramps up. They are produced using low cost 0.13u nodes. The most expensive part of a Bluray drive is the optical pickup assembly/drive mechanism and the associated electronics. I don't have exact figures but I was told it's about 4x more expensive than a DVD.