Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-03, 04:11 AM   #1
Kaiser

Angry A Metaphor

After another long and ultimately unsuccessful evening spent trying to get Mandrake 9.0 to work with my new, all-singing, all-dancing system....i feel I need to vent my spleen just a little and have chosen to do so in the form of a metaphor.

Windows, in it's many incarnations is like a Toyota. It's bland, unremarkable, capable of nothing particularly special. There's no point looking under the bonnet if something DOES go wrong, cos Toyota won't tell you how it works, but take it to the dealer and remove/reinstall the odd component and it keeps on going.

Linux, from where I'm sitting, is like a TVR Tuscan. Sleeker, faster, better looking, capable of so much more. But for some reason the performance of the car is directly affected by factors such as your inside leg measurement, favourite colour and choice of deodorant. Unless you are qualified to build TVR's, or know someone who not only knows how to build TVR's but also is intimately aware of your inside leg measurement it'll run like a Morris Minor (apologies for all the Brit references). And if you so much as top up the thing with the wrong type of screen wash, it'll never start again. AAAAARGH!

My problem? I just went out and splashed my hard-earned on a P4 2.4, Abit SR7-8X and GeForce4Ti4200 128MB (all in a shiny CoolerMaster case - drool). Can I get the nVidia drivers to work? No. It runs on 'vesa', with reasonable resolution but slow as hell. And why does sound work, then stop working, then work, then disappear completely.......

I've followed the tips on numerous threads on these boards, and while the instructions are clear, consise and always helpful, nothing seems to work how it's supposed to. I'm a nebie to Linux but I can follow instructions as well as the next man.

XP by the way runs fine. Dull, predicatable, but stable and quick.

Have I just bought hardware that won't be supported by Linux for several months? Should I bin my 128MB GeForce4 and get a 32MB TNT2 instead?

Finally, please accept my apologies for ranting, but I'm sure there are others who are having the same problems....you can spot them by their bruised foreheads.
Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-03, 02:24 PM   #2
mariuz
Albino penguin

Default Take a big deep Breath

There is a thread with mdk9.0 .
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=2704
Can you explain what is the problem .
What happened ?
Ps: Linux is more like a tank
http://www.spack.org/words/commandline.html

Quote:
It's a bunch of RVs, yurts, tepees, and geodesic domes set up in a field and organized by consensus. The people who live there are making tanks. These are not old-fashioned, cast-iron Soviet tanks; these are more like the M1 tanks of the U.S. Army, made of space-age materials and jammed with sophisticated technology from one end to the other. But they are better than Army tanks. They've been modified in such a way that they never, ever break down, are light and maneuverable enough to use on ordinary streets, and use no more fuel than a subcompact car. These tanks are being cranked out, on the spot, at a terrific pace, and a vast number of them are lined up along the edge of the road with keys in the ignition. Anyone who wants can simply climb into one and drive it away for free. ...

The group giving away the free tanks only stays alive because it is staffed by volunteers, who are lined up at the edge of the street with bullhorns, trying to draw customers' attention to this incredible situation. A typical conversation goes something like this:

Hacker with bullhorn: "Save your money! Accept one of our free tanks! It is invulnerable, and can drive across rocks and swamps at ninety miles an hour while getting a hundred miles to the gallon!"

Prospective station wagon buyer: "I know what you say is true...but...er...I don't know how to maintain a tank!"

Bullhorn: "You don't know how to maintain a station wagon either!"

Buyer: "But this dealership has mechanics on staff. If something goes wrong with my station wagon, I can take a day off work, bring it here, and pay them to work on it while I sit in the waiting room for hours, listening to elevator music."

Bullhorn: "But if you accept one of our free tanks we will send volunteers to your house to fix it for free while you sleep!"

Buyer: "Stay away from my house, you freak!"
mariuz is offline   Reply With Quote