Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-06, 02:00 PM   #1
barmala

Default Video issues after kernel update on SuSE 10.0

Hi,

Yesterday I updated my SuSE Linux 10.0 via "you" (a.k.a "YaST2 online_update"). Now I have kernel 2.6.13-15.8-smp x86_64 Today the system does not boot into graphics mode any more. I suspected that I had to adapt the video driver. nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html recommends to do this via the you nvidia utility, but you does not show nvidia.

I therefore did it manually:

init 3
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig; make prepare-all
cd /usr/share/doc/nvidia
wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-8178-pkg2.run
wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/n...-0310-pkg1.run
sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0310-pkg1.run
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178-pkg2.run –q
nvidia-xconfig
SaX2 –m 0=nvidia

Running SaX on the console gives me a blank screen. I therefore used ssh+xtunnel from a different machine and invoked SaX remotely. I could configured the values, e.g. "connectedmonitors=DFP", but when I chose "test" at the end of the SaX dialogue, my first machine showed a blank screen again and the ssh connection froze. The only way to get out was to power cycle. (Is there a smarter way out?)

I even tried the patch on top of page http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/... , but this didn’t change anything.

Any ideas what’s wrong?

Christian
barmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 06:21 PM   #2
linix

Default Re: Video issues after kernel update on SuSE 10.0

Hi,
I hope this helps, I too found the instrudtions of how to install nvidia driver with yast poor, so i have re-written them step-by-step,

http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/

Look for my post in suse section on this site, don't worry as it is a new site and there are not many posts. BTW if you can find it there is the same instructions on this site but the flow is silly so it may be 5-10 pages back somewhere.

Now please tell me how you updated the kernel with yast, like my instructions please and if you want i can point you to the instructions to get KDE 3.5.1 level a.

ps, when or if you follow my instructions you will get the chance to re-install as it sounds like you may have half installed.

Nick (linix)
linix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 02:47 AM   #3
barmala

Default Re: Video issues after kernel update on SuSE 10.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by linix
I haver re-written the instructions of how to install nvidia driver with yast. poor, so i have re-written them step-by-step. Look for my post in suse section on my Site.
Do you mean Asus N6200 nvidia driver install?

Quote:
how you updated the kernel with yast
YaST2 online_update or simply you . One of the next screens suggests you the packages to be updated and sometimes the kernel is amongst them. If you accept to update them, you get some warnings that you may have to update some kernel modules manually and take care of the boot loader in case you use lilo instead of grub, but that's it.

Quote:
i can point you to the instructions to get KDE 3.5.1 level a.
I usually prefer to stay with the packages, that are included in and maintained by the distribution. Once you leave that path, the maintenance burden is with me. I can afford this for some packages, where I really need the new features, but I try to keep the number of these exceptions low.

I meanwhile solved the issue by reinstalling the old driver, that came with SuSE:sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7676-pkg2.run -a -s. In contrast to the new one it did not recompile the kernel module, but used a precompiled one.

Christian
barmala is offline   Reply With Quote