Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-15-06, 04:10 PM   #1
kcary

Default Caching error causes balck screen on startup

I am getting random blackscreens when I boot up now. I say random becuase half the time it's fine and half the time it's not. I cannto run the nvidia-bug-report so that is not an option. However I have included the part of my /var/log/messages file from the last boot. On line 416 starts the errors from my last logon with the problem. It involves the following lines:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-134
kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-8178 Wed Dec 14 16:22:51 PST 2005
kernel: NVRM: bad caching on address 0xf5998000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173

I am expecting the solution will be similar to what i suggested in the post here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ighlight=cache

The only thing is that I am using a PCI express casrd and not AGP.
System and card specs:
GeForce 6800 GT 512MB
nvidia drivers: 8178
Dual Xeon Dual core 3.6GHz processors
Redhat 9
Kernel 2.4.27

XF86Config and messages log:

XF86Config and messages.zip

The XFree log doesn't show anything as it proceeds through normal execution.
kcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 04:19 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Caching error causes balck screen on startup

Are you stating that you're getting a black screen when X starts, or at some time before X has started? Is the system locked up when you get this 'black screen', or can you ssh into it?

I'm also not clear on why you cannot generate a bug report.

This error is due to a kernel bug:
bad caching on address 0xf5998000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
Updating to a more recent kernel will address that problem.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 07:02 AM   #3
kcary

I explained this in my post. I cannot generate a bug report because the system locks up. I cannot ssh in therefore no bug report. And the kernel problem is fiable if you have an AGP card as explained in the post i referenced, so I would imagine its fixable with my PCI Express card as well. I am not allowed to go to a more recent kernel. We have this same card working for 6 months on the same system setup so it's not the kernel specifically. The only difference is we are running the 7676 drivers on that machine. What you referenced:

This error is due to a kernel bug:
bad caching on address 0xf5998000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
Updating to a more recent kernel will address that problem.

you forgot the leading portion where it states its from NVRM, an nvidia portion not linux kernel portion.
Old 02-16-06, 07:19 AM   #4
kcary

To even further clarify. When it happens, my monitor goes into power save mode and says there is no connection to my computer. It happens randomly after it finishes loading all services. The XFree log shows complete normal operation, but instead of showing the nvidia splashscreen, my screen goes black. I cannot ssh into the machine or anything as it is totally locked up. It happens at random too. I have been able to boot 6 times in a row no problem. Then ill boot it 10 times where every other time i have the problem. Then sometimes it will give me the black screen a bunch ijn a row. Once I get to the login screen though, I am fine, nothing goes wrong. If I attempt to restart X though (ctrl+alt+backspace) i get the same randomness of a blackscreen. From trolling through the forums here, it appears this is a fairly common problem so I would expect there would be a solution. Also this problem seems to happen with all kinds of versions of drivers AND all different kernels, including the newest ones.
Old 02-16-06, 10:32 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

kcary,
Please see the NVIDIA driver README where the kernel cache aliasing (change_page_attr) bug is discussed in more detail. The NVIDIA driver detects this bug, and generates the warnings that I've noted, hence the reason why NVRM appears in front of the warnings.

A bug report can be generated without X running. Please boot into runlevel 3, immediately after the next time you experience this problem, and generate the bug report that I requested.

You stated that this problem occurs with the newest kernels. Specifically which kernels have you tried?

You stated "And the kernel problem is fiable if you have an AGP card as explained in the post i referenced, so I would imagine its fixable with my PCI Express card as well. I am not allowed to go to a more recent kernel. We have this same card working for 6 months on the same system setup so it's not the kernel specifically. The only difference is we are running the 7676 drivers on that machine." Can you please elaborate on this? If you are not permitted to use a more recent kernel, then how did you test with the 'newest kernels'? If you h ave the same card "working for 6 months on the same system" is the only thing that changed, and potentially triggered this problem, the driver upgrade from 1.0-7676? If you go back to 1.0-7676, does this problem get eliminated?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote