Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-06, 02:11 PM   #13

Default Re: X locks up with nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3 and 2.6.15-r1 kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
ewiget,
If this is a Toshiba laptop, others have run into this problem back in December. You'll need to set the NVreg_Mobile nvidia kernel module perameter to a specific value. You should search for the old threads that have discussed this for the potential workarounds.

Thanks,
Lonni
indeed
options nvidia NVreg_Mobile=1
does the trick. I didn't notice that in modprobe.conf it was misspelled so my mistake (weird that it didn't react actually).
There's still the wrong dot clock problem but as long as I do have a properly sized display I'm happy.
120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 04:43 PM   #14
ewiget

Send a message via ICQ to ewiget Send a message via AIM to ewiget Send a message via MSN to ewiget Send a message via Yahoo to ewiget

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
ewiget,
If this is a Toshiba laptop, others have run into this problem back in December. You'll need to set the NVreg_Mobile nvidia kernel module perameter to a specific value. You should search for the old threads that have discussed this for the potential workarounds.

Thanks,
Lonni
I am not sure of the exact value, but I simply searched for Toshiba, and per two different threads, I added this to my xorg.conf - commenting one line out and then finally trying both without any changes:

Option "NVreg_Mobile" "1"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"

Here is my last Xorg.log ending, but again hard locked:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "ddc" "off"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling experimental RENDER acceleration
(**) NVIDIA(0): Ignoring EDIDs
(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xDC000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xFD000000

Shouldn't it also show the NVreg_Mobile value in there too???
ewiget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiget
I am not sure of the exact value, but I simply searched for Toshiba, and per two different threads, I added this to my xorg.conf - commenting one line out and then finally trying both without any changes:

Option "NVreg_Mobile" "1"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
you should add this:
to /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.d/nvidia I think. I don't think it has any effect to add Option "NVreg_Mobile" "1" to your xorg.conf.
120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 05:25 PM   #16
ewiget

Send a message via ICQ to ewiget Send a message via AIM to ewiget Send a message via MSN to ewiget Send a message via Yahoo to ewiget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120
you should add this:
to /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.d/nvidia I think. I don't think it has any effect to add Option "NVreg_Mobile" "1" to your xorg.conf.
I found that after I posted the above, and tried 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for the value, with a hard lock each time.

Now, I think I might be on to something and I will feel absolutely stupid if this fixes it....but I just realized I don't have any /dev/nvidia and this is a udev system.

From the Gentoo Udev Guide is this:
udev and nvidia

If you use the proprietary driver from nVidia and the X server fails to start on a udev-only system, then make sure you have:

* the nvidia module listed in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
* a version of nvidia-kernel equal to or greater than media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336-r2
* a version of baselayout equal to or greater than sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.12

If xorg-x11 refuses to start, it might be because the /dev/nvidia device file is missing. If that is the case, run /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh to (re)create it.

My question is, why don't I have the /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh file and why udev isn't adding the correct /dev/ entry for nvidia?? Anyone know what the correct major and minor numbers are and what is supposed to be there?
Old 02-17-06, 09:32 PM   #17
ewiget

I think I am at least on the right track, udev didn't create the /dev entries for nvidia and nvidiactl so I created them myself:

rmmod nvidia
mknod /dev/nvidia c 195 0
mknod /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255
modprobe nvidia

verified dev entries were there, and that nvidia appears in lsmod and again - hard locks just as soon as I attempt to startx

So, looking around in udev related stuff, it should create the entries....my /etc/modules.conf has these entries:
# Old nvidia support ...
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
alias char-major-10-144 nvram
### modules-update: start processing /etc/modules.d/nvidia
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
# option see /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3/README.gz
#options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
### modules-update: end processing /etc/modules.d/nvidia

and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has:
KERNEL=="nvidia*", NAME="%k", GROUP="video"
KERNEL="nvidia*", NAME="%k", GROUP="video"

Are those correct?

coldplug is set to start at bootup, hotplug is not

Double checked for udev configured correctly in the kernel - at this point, I will assume its a system config issue until I get udev working correctly. In the meantime, I did a complete backup and am re-emerging system and world again.....3rd time is a charm right?
Old 02-17-06, 10:33 PM   #18
ewiget

somewhat good news....one problem solved but another one surfaced:

I am not sure which one solved the problem....cause I did two things before checking startx.

First, I added the masked udev to my /etc/portage/package.keywords and emerged it.

Second, hearing a lot of people talk about a gentoo specific file /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh but it didn't exist on my system, I searched for it on google and found it. It seems in was included in 1.0-6629 but must not have been in later versions.

Anyways, I ran this file, and checked device entries....now there was:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 0 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 1 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 2 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 3 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 4 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 5 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 6 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root video 195, 7 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidia7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 255 Feb 17 23:16 /dev/nvidiactl

Initially all files were owned by root:root but I noticed the udev rules wanted root:video so I modified the script above....I don't know why it didn't make nvidiactl root:video...and I just now realized it so it may fix my next problem.

New Problem - after I startx, I lose all F1 - F6 consoles and am unable to ctrl + alt + F1 - F6 to get to a shell.

I appreciate everyones help and suggestions and now I really feel bad that at least the first problem was caused by a misconfigured system and not anything related to nvidia modules.

I keep updating this thread to help others who may search, so as soon as I figure out the 2nd problem, I will make a new post for it too. If anyone has any suggestions concerning the 2nd problem, would love to save some time if you could post them.