Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-06, 12:02 PM   #1
julathlon

Default How to test nvidia-sound under Linux?

Installed ab asus mobo (the A8N-E) with nvidia-sound included. I tried a few drivers (starting with NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310, and then NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178) but got no success at all. I got the nvmixer from nforce-0310, but have no clue how to get sound into the card and out of the speakers. Tried a cat filename.wav > /dev/dspn, but this gave no result at all. Did I use a wrong testing mechanism, and does a smarter way exist?
Thanks.
Julien
julathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 03:43 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: How to test nvidia-sound under Linux?

Please generate and post an nforce-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 12:49 PM   #3
julathlon

Default Re: How to test nvidia-sound under Linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julathlon
Installed ab asus mobo (the A8N-E) with nvidia-sound included. I tried a few drivers (starting with NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310, and then NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178) but got no success at all. I got the nvmixer from nforce-0310, but have no clue how to get sound into the card and out of the speakers. Tried a cat filename.wav > /dev/dspn, but this gave no result at all. Did I use a wrong testing mechanism, and does a smarter way exist?
Thanks.
Julien
If I'm allowed to continue this thread myself with a second question:
The first package I installed (NFORCE-Linux..) contains a NVMIXER-command. Issueing this command generates a panel with six volume controls (1 Main, 4 different ones for "Output": CD,Line,Mic and Phone, and 1 Input) All of this looks great, and seems like the ultimate tool for testing. If only I could generate some sound-output with
cat filename.wav > /dev/dsp
but when I try this command total silence is my reward. Should this (ore some variation ;-) give me a sound output, or am I looking in the wrong direction?
Thanks
julathlon is offline   Reply With Quote