Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-06, 06:55 PM   #1
Riktar

Default PNY 6200 (NV43) AGP card recognition in Linux

Anybody out there with this card that has had recognition problems in Linux? Some distros seem to recognize it ok, but some just flat out don't know what it is other than a Nvidia card which leads to goofy stuff like resolutions locked at 800x600 or 1024x768. Not to mention the 3D performance is subpar.

Heck the FX5700 this thing replaced did a better job all around.

Any ideas?
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 06:57 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: PNY 6200 (NV43) AGP card recognition in Linux

I'm not clear on what you mean by "recognition problems". Are you stating that the nvidia driver is failing to recognize the card, or that the PCI database is failing to recognize the card?

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log that captures the problem you're reporting.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 07:45 PM   #3
Riktar

I probably should have been clearer about that. It is in the PCI database that some distros seem to have a problem with it. For instance in Xandros the card shows up as a NVidia card but instead of showing up as a NV43, 6200, etc., it comes back with:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 00f3 (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Along with some other stuff. Now the thing is I am assuming that the a2 is in reference to the bios revision of the card. Because Rivatuner ID's the card as a revision 4 bios. But anyway:

The Nvidia drivers did load ok and it seems to be running (Except for slow 3D) ok in Xandros.

However other distros like PCLinux (.92) doesn't recognise the card AND it refuses to let me select 1280x1024. I did make sure I downloaded the proper ISO with the Nvidia drivers built into it.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 08:59 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The contents of the PCI database have no impact on the nvidia X driver's functionality or performance. You can edit that database if you wish, its nothing but a plain text flat file.

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log that captures the performance problem you're reporting.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote