Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-06, 02:29 PM   #1
SOHARA

Default Dual Screen Configuration

I'm trying to figure out how I can set up dual screens in the following manner. I want 1 screen to display all my temperature info cpu-z and overclocking tools. I want the other screen to be my regular playing screen, and I want to make sure that doing something on one won't affect the other. Is there any way to do this, and if not whats the most effective way of achieving a similar setup?
SOHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 03:14 PM   #2
Saibot
Bunny chaser

Default Re: Dual Screen Configuration

You need to set nView Display Settings to Dualview. I'm assuming that you're talking about playing games on one screen and Cpu-Z & stuff on the other. Some games won't like this very much but I do it with UT2K4 all the time. You'll have to Alt-Tab out of the game to be able to change anything on the 2nd screen - can't just move the mouse over there in the middle of a game. Under Performance & Quality Settings you'll need to set hardware acceleration to Single-display mode too.
ASUS Sabertooth X58 | Intel Core i7 950 | EVGA GTX470 | 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | 80GB Intel X25-M SSD (Windows7) | 1TB Seagate HDD | 74GB WD Raptor HDD (Ubuntu 10.10) | 250GB WD HDD | (2) Lite-on Dual layer DVD RW | Thermaltake Tsunami case | Corsair HX620W PSU
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 03:16 PM   #3
Q

A lot of this depends on what video card you have, but I recommend using MultiMon as the general software to use. Also, Nvidia has some built in features with Nview.

However, it is extremely difficult to arrange it to where one screen acts completely independent of the other. I have yet to find a solution in my two years of dual monitor usage that allows me to start a game on my primary while leaving my secondary display untouched. It depends on which game it is, but often times the secondary display gets affected in some way or another.

Again, I reccomend using Nview and Multimon...these together should give you enough tools to where it will at least correct itself if the primary display effects the secondary negatively.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 04:11 PM   #4
SOHARA

I was actually going for a setup where the second screen(with cpu-z etc) was a touch screen that I could adjust oc levels etc on the fly with, and use the first screen for everyday operations(without having half of my normal windows operations on the other screen). I don't plan on having the two side by side, so is there any solution for this type of situation?
SOHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 04:44 PM   #5
Q

You are going to have a very hard time doing this. Any applications that take command over the primary display are going to prevent you from adjusting anything on the secondary display. Either it won't respond to the input, or the window focus is going to go to the secondary monitor much like an alt-tab would do. This is more of a "feature" of windows, so your going to have a hard time overcoming it.

If I come across any way to do this, I'll let you know. It sounds like it would be really cool if you could get it working.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote