Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-03, 01:34 PM   #1
simonderevo

Question 440 Go 64M + 16" LCD on a Toshiba 1955-S803 kernel 2.4.20 Woody

Hello Community,

I have worked the Nvidia drivers for quite a while now and believe I am quite close to having them just about fully functional (hoora!). I was seeing all sorts of problems but the new driver set + the Mobile and IgnoreEDID modules options took care of all those problems ... and intoduced the following:

Regarless of depth, resolution, sceeen size, mode line/no mode line, the screen image (that is the displayed image from the top left to the bottom right of the desktop) is larger than the display panel.

The proportion of clipping is always the same no matter the resolution. About 1/15th or so from the bottom and left are beyond the edge of the display.

When plugging in an external monitor the image is beautiful (thank you NVIDIA), so I am pretty sure this is some EDID or other related issue, however the manual setting of sizes or mode lines has no effect.

I will post my config file to this thread a little later. If you are a fellow laptop esp. toshiba user, please feel free to comment, question etc as I have learned a little in my stuggles with this driver set.

Regards,

derevo
simonderevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-03, 11:48 AM   #2
DWebb82

Default Toshbia 1955-S803 Owner

Sir,
I am in the same boat that you are. I finally went through all of the EDID stuff as well. I have the screen running but it's like yours...you can't see the bottom or the right side no matter what resolution you set. I am running redhat 8.0 and running the NVidia 4191 drivers. I have made from what I can see all the necessary corrections. If you have figured out the screen issue please let me know how to correct this. I don't want to go back to MS Windows.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-24-03, 01:36 PM   #3
simonderevo

Lightbulb The answer

Hello,

I am now running happily with redhat 8.0 (though I have no doublts that any newish distro would yield similar results) and the latest nv drivers. The secret was in the BIOS of course ... there is a BIOS driven scalar that kicks in by default but that you can turn off. I don't remember the exact setting but it is self explanitory. Once this is off I set a framebuffer value of '31a' for the default tty screen driver and then use a 1280x1024 screen def in my xf86conf with the recommended module options:

NV_IgnoreEDIDs=0 and NV_UseMobile=0xFFFFFFFF

after this, the sun came out, the birds began to sing and all those pretty open gl screen savers buzzed by.

small note: nautilus in gnome 2 is clunky, I disabled it as it was taking a while to "warm up" with the nv driver. maybe there is a better answer for this, I don't know.

hope that helps.
Old 02-25-03, 09:04 AM   #4
DWebb82

Default help...

Simon,
If you don't mind can you tell me how to add the EDIDs stuff to the XF86Config file. Also how do i change the stuff for the framebuffers. What is the file path to the framebuffers file I guess is what i should be asking. If you have some files you want to send like a copy of the XF86 file or a copy of the framebuffers it would be much appreciated. DWebb82@msn.com.

Thanks for all your help,

David
Old 03-03-03, 10:44 PM   #5
simonderevo

Default Don't worry about the framebuffer stuff

Hi there,

You don't need to worry about the framebuffer stuff. If you have a kernel compiled with support for it you would pass a kernel param at boot of vga=31a or something that works for you. But don't worry about any of this.

Read the README!

Not trying to be an a s s but all of this is in the readme.

As for the XF86Config settings, just read the README section on the XF86Config file and pay special attention to the IgnoreEDIDs setting

As for the module settings read Appendix K (or something close to K) which pertains to NV mobility.

Good Luck!
Old 03-09-03, 03:46 PM   #6
DWebb82

Thumbs down It's not working

Derevo,
Since the last time I have posted I have been reading the instructions that come with the nvidia driver set. In my opinion they are worthless. I have been working with the modules.conf and XF86Config file for some time now, but to no avail it always fails. If you know something I don't know please ante up. Like I said before I'm somewhat of a noob so I am still trying to figure out how linux thinks and reads files. I also purchased the Red Hat Linux 8 Bible thinking that may be of some help to my situation. I can say it has somewhat by teaching me to use the text editors and what-not. I am trying my hardest to figure this out. If you can help please do so. I would appreciate not going back to MS Windows.

Thanks,

David
DWebb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 01:11 AM   #7
DWebb82

Cool I have it working....somewhat

Simon,
My desktop is now displayed properly. When I play a TuxRacer or some other 3D game my screen gets all fuzzy and has a line running through the bottom. I don't know what I'm missing though. I followed your advice to the "T" and the whole reason why I went through all this trouble was the games and I can't play those. LOL! Whew...it's been a frustrating three weeks now. I'm halfway there hopefully we can get through the rest. Thanks and hope to hear from you.

David
DWebb82 is offline   Reply With Quote