Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-02, 01:57 AM   #13
Error404

Hi again

It looks like I'm still having the same problem here.

kernel version 2.4.18-3 was recompiled w/o error.

Followed every step installing nvidia drivers as in my post above.
startx freezed at the nvidia logo.

I'm on a built -in video, GeForce 2 MX 200. Mobo is MSI K7N 420 Pro.

I've also tried a friend's external GeForce 2 MX 200 64Mb. The outcome was no different...

Someone, anyone please HELP!!!!!

See attachments : XF86Config-4 and XFree86.0.log and also dmesg if it would help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (30.0 KB, 230 views)
Old 08-06-02, 02:05 AM   #14
Error404

Oh well, the attached file seems to have lost format...

Here it is again :
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (30.1 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-06-02, 02:17 AM   #15
Error404

Just view the source of the file...

Thanx.
Old 08-08-02, 02:04 AM   #16
Error404

Unhappy

Do you guys think I'll just have to abandon all this crap?

Or how abt a change of distro? I might wanna give Mandrake a try if it's not gonna be that frustrating when it comes to simple drivers installation???

Again I'm wondering if everything w/ linux is this mind numbing...
Old 08-11-02, 11:53 AM   #17
furtzi

hello,

i have the similiar problems with my redhat 7.3 and kernel-2.4.18-5.

i just updated to that kernel from -3 so the nvidia drivers "crashed". yes that borgzilla's thread was great, there i got the help for this problem...but now there is no such thread so i need that help again.

the sources wont compile (drivers 29.60) and rpm's nether. there was some sort of tweak...it only makes error "Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!"
Old 08-16-02, 11:34 AM   #18
Error404

Talking Yippee :D :D

Finally I got X working under RHL 7.3 after nearly a month of building, rising frustration!

Basically here's what I did:

1) Did a fresh installation off the CDs. Let it configure my X during installation tho I knew it wouldnt do anything. Created a bootdisk and when the installation was done, rebooted.

-Upon reboot, X didnt start (of course), but I let it went on anyway, so that it could generate a XF86Config-4 file for later editing.

-Rebooted the second time off the floppy, and typed linux 3 at the boot prompt so that X wouldnt start upon reboot.

-I DID NOT do any kernel recompilation! The kernel I'm using is 2.4.18-3. But just make sure you have both the kernel-source and kernel-headers installed. In RHL 7.3, kernel-headers is renamed to glibc-kernheaders so you need to install this file.

2) After installation I just installed both NVIDIA rpm files. Now, NVchooser told me to use other files but I just went on w/ these two source files:

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.src.rpm

3) cd'ed into the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 and installed the rpm files w/o any error.

-If you encounter any error here, most probably there are dependencies error. *

4) edited /etc/modules.conf and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as necessary (consult the readme file which comes w/ your driver packages)

5) startx and voilla X was crisp and clear.

* You might run into dependencies problems when trying to rpm --build or rpm -ivh your packages. In this case just install the required packages first, going back each time there's such error notification (not an error really, just a reminder that your missing some certain packeages).

**Read the readme.txt carefully. Most of your problems will have answers there.

Hope this helps and good luck!

One important thing dont be disheartened! There's always a way around