Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-06, 06:19 PM   #1
homersimpson

Default Xv and XvMC with HD movies @ greater than 1600x1200 output

I'm running a Geforce 5200 128MB with an NForce 3 Athlon 64 arch Mobo. I have 2 gigs of RAM.

I have mplayer (version: dev-CVS-060217-02:46-3.4.5 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team) playing an HDTV movie which is I believe 1080i to a 1080p display whose resolution is exactly 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.

If mplayer is full screen or any resolution wider than 1600, the video tears horizontally by an amount that may be describable by a sine wave. That is to say if the top left of the image is correct the next line is slightly to the right, and the next slightly more to the right, etc for several lines at which point it turns around and shifts the other way.

It appears to shift about 32 pixels or so (this is an estimate, I didn't count) at the maximum.

The sine wave rolls on the screen randomly and unpredictably so its more like noise than a sine wave I suppose. Its difficult to describe. I can take pictures if necessary.

As I said above, scaling the image down to 1600 by anything fixes the issue, and if I run mplayer with a -vo x11, the image looks perfect but my cpu is bogged down.

The bug appears to be the same for xv and xvmc and also occurs in MythTV. I have not tried xine yet.

I've seen other threads that talk about similar issues (although the images in those threads are not as dramatic as I'm seeing) but I haven't seen any indication as to whether or not this issue will be fixed in the upcoming release.

I'm hoping it will be.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to possible remedies?

If it is a driver bug, has it been addressed?

Thanks in advance,

Homer

Update: xine has problems with DVDs as well, however the errors in the video are more subtle. There is a noise at sharp edges, like the pixels are being randomly extended to the right.

Last edited by homersimpson; 04-05-06 at 01:06 AM.
homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 02:49 PM   #2
homersimpson

Default Re: Xv and XvMC with HD movies @ greater than 1600x1200 output

Bump...
Old 04-06-06, 04:51 PM   #3
Xevious

I never had this issue for running XVMC/XV on my geforce fx 5xxx series cards, when I payed 1080i video it was fine but none of my systems were running exactly 1920x1080, weird issue, sorry I cant help, a different output you might want to try is gl2, if your computer is very fast it might be able to do it,
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 07:56 PM   #4
homersimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious
I never had this issue for running XVMC/XV on my geforce fx 5xxx series cards, when I payed 1080i video it was fine but none of my systems were running exactly 1920x1080, weird issue, sorry I cant help, a different output you might want to try is gl2, if your computer is very fast it might be able to do it,
Thanks, I'll see if gl2 is supported by mythtv, xine, or mplayer.

What is gl2?

Homer
Old 04-06-06, 08:40 PM   #5
Xevious

gl2 is open GL output, should work on mplayer using vo=gl2 in .mplayer/config or just doing mplayer -vo gl2 filename if you just want to test it. I know I can play 720P ok with GL2 but it does use more CPU usage (still looks good atleast though) I believe I was able to do gl2 output on my athlon 64 3500+ on 1920x1080 barely, so like I said, you need a fast computer probably.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 10:21 PM   #6
homersimpson

Just tried the latest driver and no dice. It doesn't work. The horizontal shifting pattern is different, but its still looks like crap.

I'm removing xv and xvmc support from myth to see if it will work on CPU alone.

I'd love to hear from someone else who has seen this problem so that I can be sure its not unique to me...

Homer

Update: tried to go back to ATI, but its worse. Can't even keep up with full res...

If I had pci-express I'd try S3, just because their linux support is supposed to be really good. Ah well. That's what I get for being bleading edge.

Last edited by homersimpson; 04-08-06 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-08-06, 11:49 PM   #7
homersimpson

I found a workaround. I set mythtv to underscan by 3% in the horizontal and I get black bars on both sides but at least the video is clean.

I hope the NV guys can reproduce it and fix it in the next version.

Homer