Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-06, 10:15 PM   #1
sqwertz

Default Installed x86-1.0-8178, now Win2K driver hosed

I just installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run on a freshly installed SUSE 10.0 x86/32 system and now I can't boot my Win2K OS (on another partiution) due to video problems.

I get some bitmap garbage during the W2K driver initialzation portion of the boot, then after a couple seconds, the monitor reports "No SIgnal:". I can still log into the Windows machine, I just can't see anything on the screen (I can tell by the hard disk activity that I'm getting logged in).

It seems the Linux driver has done something to my almost new GeForce MX 420 card that conflicts with my W2K driver ("New", as in never actually used until a month ago) .

I'm using the MX420 with a CTX PL7 series monitor, though I use the VESA setting for my monitor. The Linux X resolution is set to 1152x864/24bit , the same as I use in Win2K except at 32bit color.

When I shut down the Linux machine, I see the NVidia splash screen, and then when I'd usually be viewing shutdown messages, I instead see a bunch of colored ASCII garbage. The machine shuts down normally with no abnormal errors. Linux video works fine during and after booting, otherwise. 3D is enabled and working.

I can see the all most of the W2K boot just fine, up until just before I'd usually see a login prompt. I don't know what driver version I installed on the Windows machine, but it would have been the current one from the NVIDIA site as of about 5 weeks ago.

I assume I can boot the W2K machine into safe-mode, though I haven't tried it.
I don't know what other information I can supply. I'd really like to get my Windows machine back up without having to put my ATI Rage card back in here.

Thanks for any help anybody can offer.

-sw
sqwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 11:32 PM   #2
sqwertz

Default Re: Installed x86-1.0-8178, now Win2K driver hosed

Followup to my own post:

I'm able to get into Safe Mode of the W2K. The driver version for windows is
Nvidia45.32_xp_4.exe

Thanks again.

-sw
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The 45.32 Windows driver is very old. I suspect this problem is more likely with the outdated Windows driver that you're using, than anything with the Linux driver.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 11:06 PM   #4
sqwertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The 45.32 Windows driver is very old. I suspect this problem is more likely with the outdated Windows driver that you're using, than anything with the Linux driver.

-Lonni
Well, it did work at one time.

What the problem was is that I turned off APM and turned on the ACPI Control register in the BIOS just as I was installing the Linux driver. Oops.

Swapping it back, Windows boots with video. I really need ACPI, so I'll try a newish Windows driver.

Thank You.

-sw